BH209 BP and Vent liners?

GMB54

I do just to be safe. A vent is a major headache to remove if it sticks. Lehigh vents have a little better grip but they are really hard so if its sticks its a total PITA to drill it out.

MUP

I'm trying a different approach, using a SS Phillips head screw. My theory is that the 4 prong slots will disperse the primer fire better into the powder. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_20171018_142736419.jpg
    IMG_20171018_142736419.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 2,809

GMB54

Its possible. The only person i know that makes his own uses a Holo-krome screw with a allen head.

451LRML

One can make one out of any material. Life expectancy will depend on your load - the heavier the charge/load the faster it will burn out.
Luke at Arrowhead Sporting in Iowa sells hardened vent liners (don't recall the material) with a 0.030" hole for about $4 each..

GMB54

Lehigh vents are around $5-6 each. Savage OEM vents are about $3-4 each.

BadgerRidge Industries has a pretty good price on the Lehighs.. 4 Pack - ships Free! ($21.99)

The Lehigh has a deeper allen socket and they are harder than Savage OEMs.

The more permanent solution is a tungsten carbide bushing and lock collar. I have a custom plug like this for my Knight. The bushing lasts a SUPER long time. You leave the bushing in until its toast. Only removing the lock collar to clean and reapply antisieze. Using typical loads you will probably get 1000 shots or more from a bushing but they are over $30 each and require some machine work to install.
asg033_030tc.png

cbhunter

RLH

I altered my CVA Accura breech plug by installing the Savage vent screw. I got it directly from Savage on line. It is just a standard flat head socket screw that is drilled through the center line. I think it is a 10-32 x 1/2" long. Socket screws are at least grade 5. Most phillips head screws or straight slot screws are usually grade 3. I used copper anti-seize when I installed it. It solved the delayed fire I was getting with BH209.

GMB54

Lehigh vents are made from 17-4 SS. I have several with over 200 heavy load shots on them. They are still within spec. Ive tried Wakemans, PRs and OEM vents. The Lehighs are better for sure.
https://sskfirearms.lehighdefense.com/a ... uct_id=282

There is a guy using grade 9 bolts for a direct ignition system. No vent liner or bushing is used. A LRMP is held in a modified grade 9 bolt. You thread that into your plug. Just load on a fired or dummy module. Tilt the rifle down when loading a live module. The huge advantages are instant ignition, faster MV and there is nothing to wear out.

Latest posts