Food Plots Best oaks for deer?

MarshallCountyChestnut

I'm getting ready to order several hundred oak trees to plant on my land in south central TN (Marshall county). I've read some articles that suggest chinkapin, pin and white as good mast crop candidates.. I'm going to do at least 3 varieties. Anybody else have any thoughts on this? (BSK?)

BSK

True White Oaks are always going to be a top choice, simply because they are native to the area (are genetically predisposed to grow and produce well in our soils and climate) but are also highly preferred by deer. That said Chinquapin are also an excellent choice. If you have any bottomland areas, Swamp White Oak is probably the top choice of deer (they require moist, high-quality soil to produce well).

In the red family, Northern and Southern Red Oaks, Black Oaks, and Scarlett Oaks are all good choices.

And if you're a bow hunter, Sawtooth Oaks are a nice addition around open areas (they can't compete in a forest).

diamond hunter

Sawtooth.Im finding the best success releasing the existing oaks I have therefore providing new browse and thick cover nearly year round.Personally,If I started over,Id plant English oaks,Sawtooth,Concordia,and chineese Chestnut.Release persimmons,oaks,mulberry.and whatever you think is an awesome tree

Hunter 257W

I think you answered your own question partly by saying you wanted at least 3 varieties. Planting trees for wildlife is like investing money in that respect, don't put all your eggs in one basket.

When I was choosing oaks I read up on what the fast growers were then next looked at the conditions I was planting in. After those two requirements were met, I bought enough trees to fill the areas up and divided the total number of trees across the various species.

Here's what I ended up with: Bur, Sawtooth, Dwarf Chinkapin, White, Swamp White & Shumard Oak

I only put the Swamp White oaks in a low spot I have that wouldn't be suitable for any other oak. One of them has done especially good there - in spite of a buck ripping it up good a few years back!

MarshallCountyChestnut

That seems to be the gist of everything I have read: plant more than one species, as some will have bad production years due to environmental conditions, while others will do well in those same conditions.

I don't have any good spots for swamp oaks, unfortunately. Most of the areas I'll be planting will be west facing hillsides. The soil conditions are pretty good and fairly well drained.

Anyone planted any hazelnuts? I have an area under a powerline that i can't plant anything that will grow tall under. Was thinking hazelnuts would be a good choice? thoughts?

Hunter 257W

I know nothing about Hazelnuts but the Dwarf Chinkapins I planted are supposed to more of a big bush (10-12feet) than a real tree so they would be a possible candidate for under a powerline.

griz01

Found this list somewhere when I was plotting:

Acorns in order of preference for deer, and crop yield info
Swamp White Oak - very low tannic acid, yield every year (deer favorite, found near water)
White Oak - low tannic acid, yield every year with a heavy crop every 3rd year
Pin Oak - low to medium tannic acid, yield every other year
Northern red Oak - medium to high tannic acid, yield every other year
Black Oak - medium to high tannic acid, yield every other year
Bur Oak - High tannic Acid, yield every year
Now these are "typical", a specific tree may yield on a different schedule. Your acorns with the higher tannic acid levels are good in the spring after the thaw the deer will clean them up.

Latest posts