Best broadhead for elk?

megalomaniac

I'm a huge fan of the rocket steelheads. Since they're only 1 1/8" cut, there's little resistance and they'll zip right through the animal.

I've only taken 2 elk with them, both around 50 yards, one a complete passthru, the other with around 20" penetration. One animal made it 60 yards before dying, the other around 180 yards ( but only because I pushed her too soon after the shot).

I'll have no reservations about toting them again next year for the hunt.

String Music

I'm taking my muzzy mx3's and the new trohpy ridge undertakers. I was actually looking at the steelheads the other day but opted for the undertakers. I'm going to use the muzzys for 40 yards and under. Thanks!

String Music

Ok so I'm not taking my muzzys. They didnt fly very well at 35 yards. I might have to buy some steelheads. Any other suggestions?

megalomaniac

Maybe... where and when are you hunting? (ie, will you be in the dark timber or open? Will you be hunting during the rut when you have the potential to call one right into your lap?)

String Music

I'm leaving this Wed actually. We are hunting around a town called Dove Creek. It is close to Lone Cone? I'm not really sure. My dad has gone several times, but this is my first visit since I don't have football anymore. The rut should be in full force. I think we have a pretty good water hole to sit over to if we want.

megalomaniac

Colorado? If so, the elk will have had pressure from the muzzleloader hunters this week and will be a little more unpredictable. Rut will be in full swing, however. Listen for the bugles in the early am and haul butt toward them in the dark.

I'd give the steelheads a try... I use the 100 grainers. In case you didn't already know, when practicing, instead of using the rubber band to hold the blades together (which will have to be replaced after every shot), you can simply use dental floss to wrap around the blades to keep them closed for practice. That way you can get 10-15 shots before having to rewrap them.

String Music

Yes Colorado. We were hoping to get out there at the beginning of September but our trip got pushed back. I have a pretty good feeling they will be a little pressured. I'm just looking forward to the hunt, a kill is just extra!

Latest posts