Best battery?

Kirk

I found out last night, about 4 miles from the boat ramp I need a new cranking battery for my boat. (Switched my deep cycle over and cranked it back up with it).

What is the best Marine Cranking Battery out there right now?

TNLynn

Car batteries are basically the same as marine starting batteries except they have a longer warranty. If you fish mainly during the day, and don't run many things from your starting battery, a car battery will be just fine. All you have to do is buy the biggest car battery and then buy the threaded adapter post to put on it and you should be good and save money and have a longer warranty. I have been doing this for years and never had a car battery last less than 5 years.

KENBOB10

Hey Kirk, thought I would let you know what I do in that situation. I carry a cheap pair of jumper cables in my boat for occasions like that. I think I got em at walmart, small, compact work good when you need them.

fishboy1

I have had bad luck with the walmart everstart.

The best battery(deepcycle) that I ever used my mechanic friend got for me from a golf cart battery supplier. Those things lasted forever on a charge and held up great until I lent one to my brother in law who ran it down and didn't recharge it for 3 weeks.

For a starting battery I would just get a LARGE automotive starting battery with good CCA and residual cranking amps.

The jumper cable idea has saved me a couple times when I left too many accessories on during a fishing trip. Cheap insurance.

TNDeerGuy

The best batteries I've ever used is the Optima line of batteries. They are more expensive, but last longer and hold a charge alot longer. When I hit that switch at 1:00am out on the lake and no one is around I want to know that my batteries will be there for me when I need them, you get what you pay for IMO. But, I also always have a pair of jumper cables just in case.