Benelli M2 20 gauge 24" or 26" input

REN

I am going to get an M2 20 gauge in the next few months when i can find a good deal on mine and sell my Franchi. I am torn on getting a 24 or 26" barrel though, i have heard people having issues with the 24" being very finicky with patterning which is a tad concerning. I would only be using it for turkey and dove hunting so was leaning to a 24" but it really will all come down to which one i find the best deal on.

anyway anyone have a 24" or have experience with one and have an opinion?

REN

yeah the 26" seems to be great all around and not as picky with ammo or chokes. I have a 26" SBE2 but i got it in that length due to duck hunting with it. I have heard some stories with 24" but those may just be exceptions not the norm.

Roost 1

Most Benelli's, because of the design if the receiver, are longer than the standard.. I am sure you already know this tho, I am not sure about the M2. I have no experience with one.... My SBE with 24" barrel is as long as any other 26" barrel shotgun, then you got the tube sticking out.. This why I would not want any longer barrel... Does the M2 have the raised rib like a super 90??

Uncle Jesse

I had a M1 20 gauge with a 26" barrel and a M2 with a 26. The short forearm on the M2 causes the barrel to stick up really high when using a sling over the shoulder. I'm thinking a M2 has a shorter forearm than the SBE2 but not for sure on that. Mine constantly hangs on limbs and such. Right or wrong, I'm wanting a 24" on my next one.

Also the newer 20 gauge M2's do not have grip tite. Another plus in my opinion. It turns yellow on my M2 when it gets wet.

Randy Wakeman did some patterning with his M2 20 24" barrel. I'll look for a link

REN

tickweed said:
26 much better for all around hunting.

why is my question specifically for an M2 being used for Dove and Turkey? I understand barrel lengths and how velocity works etc... I'm trying to see why in an M2 20 it is a MUCH better option? I'm not saying it is or is not, thats what I'm trying to decide on based on folks experience with 24" ones.

Uncle Jesse

fredfred said:
Uncle Jesse said:

[color:#FF0000]Good grief[/color] hope yours shoots better than that turd

First off, there's no such thing as "good" grief :)

Second, he's patterning for pheasants. Thought it would give a better overall idea of how the 24" does.

Third, I didn't even watch the video so I have no idea what is in it.

Uncle Jesse

I mentioned on Rockhound's SBE2 thread about the different benelli stock lengths. Most folks don't know about this and some dealers look at you like you just ran over their dog when you mention it. Go somewhere that has several benelli's in stock and you'll see what I'm talking about.

The thicker pads are harder and have more of a ridge to them. I have the short stock with a long pad. That stock with the thinnest pad fits my daughter great (the reason I'm looking to buy a new one too) and does good for me in the winter when I'm wearing a coat. It is a little short in the summer with a T shirt for me.

Benelli offers 2 (actually 3 counting the compact model) different Comfortech stocks. One is longer with a medium recoil pad and the other is shorter with a long recoil pad. Both stocks have same 14-3/8" length of pull as supplied. If a Limbsaver pad is added to the shorter stock it will maintain similar length of pull, if a Limbsaver is added to the longer stock it will increase length of pull. Also, with the 3 different sized Benelli pads (short, medium, long) length of pull can be changed.

61180.jpg

83101B.jpg

fredfred

Uncle Jesse said:
fredfred said:
Uncle Jesse said:

[color:#FF0000]Good grief[/color] hope yours shoots better than that turd

First off, there's no such thing as "good" grief :)

Second, he's patterning for pheasants. Thought it would give a better overall idea of how the 24" does.

Third, I didn't even watch the video so I have no idea what is in it.

He shot several Turkey loads and I suffered through the whole stinking thing