Beavers or Otters? Or What?

Odd question for the trappers. We live right on the Harpeth River, first year on the creek this close. Been hearing some crazy things at night like belly flops. The flops sound like a beaver jumping in the river doing a belly flop and hitting tail at same time. Only last month or so we have heard this. Lots of scurrying in the leaves and underbrush, and smaller than doe bleat sounds but longer. We could here this up and down the river. We are 50 yards from the bank on a ridge. My brother went to TTU for TN Wildlife and thinks they are beavers. Anybody heard of this? Pretty cool to hear and definitely could be some sort of mating thing. Spent my whole life on the creeks at night. Just not in January at night!

pass-thru

I don't know but I'll offer this:
-otter cover a lot of ground and don't hang around long. They might pass right throug and not be back for weeks.
-If you have beaver, there will be sign. At the very least white sticks where all the bark was eaten off. Also tree stubs where they cut trees. Then slides, dams, etc.

Mike Belt

Interesting. The flopping or tail splashing sounds makes me believe beavers although I have heard otters making a lot of racket while playing. Also I agree with the idea that the beavers would be more likely to take up a residence area. I don't recall hearing much verbalization from either but I'd think it might have something to do breeding as well. Just like bucks... You seldom if ever hear one "talking" outside the rut.

chris1976

TazmanianDevil":28w6blz1 said:
Odd question for the trappers. We live right on the Harpeth River, first year on the creek this close. Been hearing some crazy things at night like belly flops. The flops sound like a beaver jumping in the river doing a belly flop and hitting tail at same time. Only last month or so we have heard this. Lots of scurrying in the leaves and underbrush, and smaller than doe bleat sounds but longer. We could here this up and down the river. We are 50 yards from the bank on a ridge. My brother went to TTU for TN Wildlife and thinks they are beavers. Anybody heard of this? Pretty cool to hear and definitely could be some sort of mating thing. Spent my whole life on the creeks at night. Just not in January at night!
beavers will "pop" the water surface with their tail. Very loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
chris1976":22noemtb said:
quote] beavers will "pop" the water surface with their tail. Very loud.

Yeah and if you are easing around a decoy spread real quiet like and fixing or putting out decoys they will scare the CRAP out of you too. :shock:

Farm manager

Most likely beavers! The Traveling Trappers crew (some buddies of mine that are trapping 4 States this year pretty much running a trapline from November till the middle of March) trapping here for me and some other major landowners in the area now. Have been thrashing the beaver hard(along with every other furbearer present land or water) in the South Harpeth and Turnbull Creek. I'm sure that they are plentiful in the Harpeth.
If I knew how to post photos I could show you some of their catches.