Beavers good or bad?

Omega

So I have beavers, but not sure if they need to be removed or not. There is a pond/creek (I'll call it a pond) like area in the middle of the parcel, and discovered beavers were dropping trees on the edge of the pond. But, it is a feature that may be a good thing for deer, so would you get rid of them or let them do their thing? Do they maintain a healthy population or over populate? Pros and or cons would be appreciated for those that have experience with these guys.

XzKPMRZ.jpg

qRwrWRC.jpg

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
Get rid of them.
l've been trapping them out at my creek because o the trees they cut down causing erosion of the banks. My Arkansas duck lease they caused all kinds of water control issues.

Union Co. Boy

Any East TN trappers that want to trap some, we have them in the creeks around my area. They don't usually bother our part if the creek, but we have had to tear some dams out before. An animal removal service got them a few years ago. I'd rather see a fur trapper take them out.

rsimms

Personally I think habitat/wildlife diversity is always a good thing. I don't know the size of the "parcel" you mention. If the stuff they're doing is causing you financial damage - or becomes counter-productive to your whitetail management plans -, sure, take 'em out.

Otherwise I would let them go. Of course, I like to duck hunt too. ;)

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
Damage to this 30" diameter red oak has happened since Christmas. Wasn't ringed like that a couple of days before Christmas. Lost a couple of good sized maple trees early last year, so I guess I'm gonna learn how to trap.
Snaring them is pretty simple, especially if there are some good bank slides.

Omega

Personally I think habitat/wildlife diversity is always a good thing. I don't know the size of the "parcel" you mention. If the stuff they're doing is causing you financial damage - or becomes counter-productive to your whitetail management plans -, sure, take 'em out.

Otherwise I would let them go. Of course, I like to duck hunt too. ;)
Well, that is the thing, I am not sure if having a larger pond, and of course missing trees around it, would be a good or bad thing. There is enough room to let the pond get bigger, but I never dealt with beavers before, do they keep chomping trees even after the dam is built, or is it a constant thing. I haven't made it to where their dam is yet, but it looks like they may of been there for a minute, so it may just be done, or about done. Also, how bad are they on the fish, because I would rather have a bunch of fish and less beavers.

rsimms

Well, that is the thing, I am not sure if having a larger pond, and of course missing trees around it, would be a good or bad thing. There is enough room to let the pond get bigger, but I never dealt with beavers before, do they keep chomping trees even after the dam is built, or is it a constant thing. I haven't made it to where their dam is yet, but it looks like they may of been there for a minute, so it may just be done, or about done. Also, how bad are they on the fish, because I would rather have a bunch of fish and less beavers.
Again, I will admit to bias toward, "let nature be nature." And of course, if the beavers continue to live there, they will continue to feed. But not nearly to the degree as when they are dam building.

To my knowledge beavers have zero direct impact on fish. If anything, a larger pond creates more quality fish habitat and most likely more fish.

The damaged tree pic you posted above is not a mast producer, so I see no problem (for deer) in its loss. And opening up thick forest canopy encourages more growth of browse species, which obviously deer do depend on much of the year. So again, unless they are flooding a huge percentage of whatever size parcel you have, or if they are damaging a significant amount of mast-producing timber... or timber you want for future lumber production, I see no problem.

Also, if it is prime beaver territory, it will be a never-ending battle trying to keep them out. Even if you are successful in trapping out an entire family group (which is difficult), there is a good chance a new group will move in and begin the process all over again.

My two cents worth. In the end it's your land and your call. If you decide to attempt eradication, just be prepared to "do the work." They are persistent little bastards. :)

Planking

I let them do their thing on my property. HUGE mistake. The eat all the browse and then flood more area with their runs. I lost a bunch of good oaks and some farm land. I just now finished repairing the damage and they have been trapped out for a few years.

The only good thing about them i saw was how easy they are to trap. Leg holds took them out for me.

I was just like you, open to letting them do their thing. Beware!

Last edited:

Omega

Ok, so lets say I decide to get rid of them.

How often do traps need to be checked? I figure I could set some out for the week I hunt, and shoot any others I see, but I probably won't leave any set due to not being close enough to check them often. How have you guys dealt with leases with beavers?

swd

Ok, so lets say I decide to get rid of them.

How often do traps need to be checked? I figure I could set some out for the week I hunt, and shoot any others I see, but I probably won't leave any set due to not being close enough to check them often. How have you guys dealt with leases with beavers?
If you are doing leg hold sets, you need to check them every 24 hours. I believe that is by law. If you are using conibear or other kill traps and do not care about the fur, check them however often you feel like. If you want to use the fur, I would recommend checking daily unless your water temperatures are pretty cold.

Latest posts