Bear skin rug care in the field

muzzy76

I've been having pretty good luck getting bear pics on my camera these days and plan to bear hunt for the first time this fall... My question is what's the best way to care for the bear hide once I have cleaned him? If I'm lucky enough to take one, I want to know the best way to care for the hide until I can get it to a taxidermist/ tannery. I plan to make it into a bear skin rug.

thanks

Rack_man

Hey muzzy how you get them to quit tearing them off the tree lol. I aint been able to get any pics of deer cuz the bear find them first. I just get 1 or 2 shots of bears then the cam is laying on the ground.

muzzy76

Rack_man said:
Hey muzzy how you get them to quit tearing them off the tree lol. I aint been able to get any pics of deer cuz the bear find them first. I just get 1 or 2 shots of bears then the cam is laying on the ground.

I've been lucky so far, without any damage to the cams

skynimrod

I always carry pickling salt with me to salt hide after skinning.
Fold hide in skin to skin not hair to skin. Get to taxadermist asp. You could freeze also.

pathfindr92

i'd call bigfoot's taxidermy and see what they say. he does a few bears every year. good luck, i'm hoping to get a bear rug myself this year!

Latest posts