Be Safe my Friends, Head on a Swivel

Spurhunter

Most, and I mean MOST people on the water have NO idea about right of way. Add hard to see jet skis racing around at 70 MPH, alcohol, and the lake lice motto "let me see how close I can get so they can see how cool I am" and it's a recipe for disaster. Considering the encounters I have with jet skis while fishing it's hard for me to be very sympathetic. If you spend all day seeing how close you can buzz other boats, sooner or later a mistake happens and you get too close.

nitro_z17

Spurhunter":1uzrjjhh said:
Most, and I mean MOST people on the water have NO idea about right of way. Add hard to see jet skis racing around at 70 MPH, alcohol, and the lake lice motto "let me see how close I can get so they can see how cool I am" and it's a recipe for disaster. Considering the encounters I have with jet skis while fishing it's hard for me to be very sympathetic. If you spend all day seeing how close you can buzz other boats, sooner or later a mistake happens and you get too close.

Agree with all. However, same goes for several bass "boaters". Guys get pretty stupid, rude, inconsiderate and unethical running around in their bass boat for a $125 pot. and I use to tourney fish, but because you're in a tournament doesn't give you special rights and rules. There's 39,000 acres to fish on watts bar

Spurhunter

nitro_z17":2cin3e2r said:
Guys get pretty stupid, rude, inconsiderate and unethical running around in their bass boat for a $125 pot. and I use to tourney fish, but because you're in a tournament doesn't give you special rights and rules.

Agree. Last year my dad, my son and myself left the ramp at daylight ahead of a club tournament. We ran to our spot and were fishing lilypads when they blasted off. Two of the boats were racing and the one falling behind cut the corner to try to make up ground. He missed us by literally 20 yards.

I always laugh at the guys with the $60k boat and $50k tow vehicle in debt up to their eyeballs fishing for a $150 pot like it's the Bassmaster Classic.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

nitro_z17

Spurhunter":3vterwt5 said:
I always laugh at the guys with the $60k boat and $50k tow vehicle in debt up to their eyeballs fishing for a $150 pot like it's the Bassmaster Classic.
:rotf: EXACTLY! :rotf:

and you can see it every saturday morning on WB. :pop:

WTM

Spurhunter":26vvf3u0 said:

technically, no vessel has a right of way over another vessel, only instances of stand on and giveway vessels and 2 power boats will almost always be the giveway vessel except when meeting another power boat on a water crossing.

to be honest, i believe everyone should be required to take a boating safety course regardless of age, especially the PWC operators.

Spurhunter

WTM":3tixa8q8 said:
technically, no vessel has a right of way over another vessel, only instances of stand on and giveway vessels and 2 power boats will almost always be the giveway vessel except when meeting another power boat on a water crossing.

to be honest, i believe everyone should be required to take a boating safety course regardless of age, especially the PWC operators.

There are rules governing right of way everyone operating a boat should know:

https://www.boat-ed.com/tennessee/handb ... ion-Rules/

WTM

Spurhunter":z10at7lr said:
WTM":z10at7lr said:

There are rules governing right of way everyone operating a boat should know:

https://www.boat-ed.com/tennessee/handb ... ion-Rules/

yes that is what i was referring too. the first sentence in the hand book states that neither boat has a "right of way". i imagine some boaters think there is right of way. last year i had a bass boat cut in front of me as i gave way to the right. he should have gave way to the right before turning left into the creek. i ended up having to cut to the left to keep from colliding.

another thing some catfish anglers dont realize is that larger boats and barges have stand on privelege and they need to get out of the way and not block the navigation channel. even commercial fishermen have stand on privelege.

its pretty much common sense, but like you know, a lot of these pleasure boaters lack any.

GRIT

More and more people on the lakes now boats and jet skis are way faster than they use to be add inexpedience and alcohol\drugs into the mix and you have the perfect storm.From what i have seen the ones that live on the lake think they own it.