? Be certain to remove all lubricant . . . ?

TheLBLman

[size]"Be certain to remove all lubricant prior to shooting."[/size]
(Referring to the barrel's interior, not the gun's action.)

I keep reading this, and do understand how important it can be with a rifle, particularly a muzzleloading one.

But with a shotgun, specifically a turkey gun, why is this so important?

I don't like to put my turkey gun away without running a little Rem Oil patch thru it. I can see running a dry patch thru it before heading afield, but to "remove all lubricant" would require solvent, right?

Hawk

Wes.....Is your statement in reference to patterning different types of turkey shells or a general statement by the gun mfg?

The nitro shell reps want you to shoot every shot through a clean barrel to achieve optimum patterns. I keep a spray bottle of Hoppes No. 9 and a bore snakey thing in a ziplock in the truck so frequent cleaning is not a problem.

TheLBLman

Hawk said:
Wes.....Is your statement in reference to patterning different types of turkey shells or a general statement by the gun mfg?
Both, and specifically regarding the bore's interior, and in this case, specifically a shotgun.

Hawk said:
The nitro shell reps want you to shoot every shot through a clean barrel to achieve optimum patterns. I keep a spray bottle of Hoppes No. 9 and a bore snakey thing in a ziplock in the truck so frequent cleaning is not a problem.
I've been doing the same thing as you.
However, when I'm done shooting, I would put a very LIGHT coat of Rem Oil inside the shotgun barrel. I also usually go afield with my barrel having this same light interior coating of Rem Oil. Doing this, I had always thought my barrel was "clean".

Guess I'm just trying to figure out the logic behind "polishing" a bore to make it slicker, if a little slick Rem Oil is a bad thing.

buckdead

Wes, you should shoot it once each way next time you pattern your gun. Once clean and dry and once clean with light coat of rem oil. There might not be much diffrence in the patterns, but I bet it will pattern better with a dry bore. I think of oil in shotgun barrel more like gunk than I do as a lubricant.

Latest posts