Baked Halibut

TennesseeRains

...So, my brother goes all over on his fishing trips and brings back loads of fish that ain't in these parts. Fortunately for me, he's had lap-band surgery and can't eat a whole lot; even better - he's gone a lot and his freezer is not locked!!! :D

Here's what I did - VERY simple too!

Preheat oven to 425 degrees

1) Clean up fillet real good
2) Place aluminum foil on baking dish, and drizzle olive oile on foil; then place them fillets down. (I USED to use butter here)Drizzle fillets with a little olive oil on top too (again a few pats of butter here in the past).
3) Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste (I have used white pepper instead here)
4) Sprinkle Dill Weed on now, followed up with either some dried basil - or fresh...your choice.
5) Slice 1/2 of a red onion real thin and place slices onto fish
6) Slice a lemon real thin and place them on top of the onions. (I have put the zest on as well as squeezed the juice on at this point - but my tapeworm says this overpowered the natural flavor of the fish)
7) Cover with aluminum foil and stick that puppy in the oven!
8) Bake at the above temp of 425 for around 15 minutes (or until done...where the fish is good and flaky). This depends upon the size and thickness of your fish.

NOTE: You can sprinkle a little garlic powder on too - but don't get too much!!!

Pretty good, I mean it's not fried or anything - but not bad...not bad at all!

I cook some asparagus and serve the fish on top of it...

I partner that with a fresh green salad and a homemade vinegrette.

bowriter

R.I.P.
Halibut is one of the best eating saltwater fish that swims. The mistake most people make is they cook it too long. They are also one of the meanest fish that swims. The big ones you shoot with a .410 with slugs before bringing aboard. Been lots of legs broken by live halibut on a deck.

Latest posts