Baked fried chicken

DaveB

Few weeks back wife got word her chloresterol count was edging into bad range and we have been tightening up a diet that was pretty strict already. Took my fried chicken coating recipe and after a few tests settled on that plus a 50% by weight Progresso garlic & herb breadcrumb mix. Cut the wash egg to just one and 2% milk and beat it with B&D mixer (thats an electric drill works super).

I cut chick breasts into 1nch thick chunks across the grain soak in wash for mebbe 15 minutes then bread by placing chick on breading mix and exerting pressure to insure contact. then on to cookie sheet no oil no paper then into fridge for minimum one hour and overnight is much better. Then another quick dip in wash and back into fridge for 60 minutes then into 350 oven for 60 minutes. I have to rotate my pans because back of oven is much hotter than middle or front. Use your thermometer to check for done or cut the thickest piece in half.

Honest injun this comes out nice and juicy great flavor.

FYI the same exact process works on salmon only no way 60 minutes cook time. Watch the fish temp carefully. I carved the salmon up to get just the thick side of the filet. No skin.

TAFKAP

Mrs. TAFKAP does similar, but with a mixture of grated dry cheesese (parmesean, reggiano, etc.)

Sometimes it's not the frying but the processed grains that'll jack up your cholesterol numbers. Oven frying is no joke, especially when you give the meat time to even out like that. Beats the hell out of a frying mess too.

GMB54

Maybe change up the oil you are using. Oils like rice bran are pretty healthy and its not super expensive. Avocado oil is even better but the cost more than doubles. I think i get gallons of Riceland rice bran oil for around $15. 3gal jugs on Amazon are nearly half that price per gallon. Half gallon of avocado oil is about $18 at Costco.

Last edited:

Jon54

I know you're in Shelby. If you ever want to treat your bride to a fantastic, "special" dinner, take her to Southern Social in Germantown. They have a baked chicken breast that's simply righteous. Add to it their mashed potatoes and Brussels sprouts and she'll love you forever.

they also have an unbelievable fried chicken dinner.

GMB54

Been baking for years in most instances rather than frying, but when we do fry we only use canola oil.
Biggest issue with canola oil is quality. If its 100% rapeseed oil its nutritional profile is not bad but many are blends with lower quality oils. When used just for frying both rice bran and avocado oils have a slight edge in smoke point. Yet they are pretty good from a health perspective also.

Adding healthy fats/oils to the diet can have an amazing effect on your cholesterol. Hazelnut and macadamia just to name a couple and hazelnut has an almost buttery flavor. Both are SUPER expensive though and not a good choice for frying due to cost. Use the healthy oils for things like dressing and even pasta sauce.

Last edited:

Chaneylake

Few weeks back wife got word her chloresterol count was edging into bad range and we have been tightening up a diet that was pretty strict already. Took my fried chicken coating recipe and after a few tests settled on that plus a 50% by weight Progresso garlic & herb breadcrumb mix. Cut the wash egg to just one and 2% milk and beat it with B&D mixer (thats an electric drill works super).

I cut chick breasts into 1nch thick chunks across the grain soak in wash for mebbe 15 minutes then bread by placing chick on breading mix and exerting pressure to insure contact. then on to cookie sheet no oil no paper then into fridge for minimum one hour and overnight is much better. Then another quick dip in wash and back into fridge for 60 minutes then into 350 oven for 60 minutes. I have to rotate my pans because back of oven is much hotter than middle or front. Use your thermometer to check for done or cut the thickest piece in half.

Honest injun this comes out nice and juicy great flavor.

FYI the same exact process works on salmon only no way 60 minutes cook time. Watch the fish temp carefully. I carved the salmon up to get just the thick side of the filet. No skin.
Research using "baking powder". Many believe that you get a much better crust.

Latest posts