Back Yard Yote/Red Fox.?

MRUTVOL

Thought I would share a rather unusal hunt I had yesterday here in my neighborhood. My subdivision lays on the outskirts of Millersville and has a big field and hardwoods along with a couple small thickets on the edges. I live on the back portion close to the fields and an elderly widow who lives down at the end of the street had mentioned to me last week that she had a big red fox coming up on her deck at night and eating her catfood. She said it had gotten more brave in the last couple visits and was coming in the middle of the day and when she would holler at it he would just kind of slowly wonder off. She asked me if I could maybe catch it for her or know a way of getting rid of it. I stopped by yesterday morning before going to work to check the snow around her place knowing any sign would be easy to see and sure enough there were the tracks coming out of the woods and up her deck and milling around her house. I knew once I seen the tracks that it was not a fox or if it was it was a whopper of a fox! I told the lady I would stop by in the afternoon and see what I could do for her. Being there are other homes close by I knew I could not use my big yote 25-06 gun so I thought I would take my 17hmr with me just in case. I got off work at about 3:30 and went straight to her house and decided I would just ease out to the back of the woods edge and sit there knowing there was a thicket about 75 yds on the other side I figured if the critter was anywhere close that is where he was. I only took my mouse sqealer/coaxer call because I did not want to draw to much attention from neighborhood dogs and cats in the area by squalling to loud with my rabbit call. With the coaxer I can just do soft little squeaks hoping to draw attention. I made a few calls randomly for about 15 mins and there was no response. I waited about another 15 mins and started again and there was again no response. The light was starting to fade and thought one more sequence and I am out of here. Just as I started I caught some movement to my left and low and behold there that sucker was just sitting about 40 yards away looking right at me. This yote sit there and let me raise my gun and fire a round right into the side of her head dropped her right there. She was a beautiful female red coyote probably a couple years old. I showed it to the lady and she verified it was the one she had seen. I told her she was lucky it was just eating the cat food and not the cat because they love house cats! I attached a couple pics to see.

redcoyB.jpg

redcoyA.jpg

Latest posts