Back out after 1 1/2 years

ghostfive

I posted a longer story in small game but had to share some of it here. After a year and a half of not being able to do anything I loaded my favorite FX air rifle and headed to my favorite permission. When I got there pigeons, collared doves and groundhogs were everywhere. In less than 5 minutes I already had 2 pigeons, a collared dove and a groundhog down.

I was shooting my FX Maverick Compact in .22 using Zan 28.5 gr slugs at 872 fps. Longest shot 70 yards on the groundhog quartering to, perfect shot right in front of the left leg. Most other shots were 50 and 55 yards.

Attachments

• 20230528_184941.jpg
    20230528_184941.jpg
    542.2 KB · Views: 52

mike243

mike243

Nonprotected Wildlife and Species Deemed Destructive

The following species are not protected by law because they are non-native invasive populations with potential to damage property, pose a human health risk, and have detrimental effects on native wildlife.

1. House (English) Sparrow
  2. European Starling
  3. Rock Pigeon
  4. Nutria

Omega

They don't specifically list it as invasive though the text certainly seems to make it so, but they do list it as non federally protected.
Tennessee Backyard Animal Basics
Backyard Non-Native Wildlife
Non-Native Birds
The following list of birds is NOT protected by federal laws, however, there are laws about the transport of captive-raised game birds. Contact TWRA or USFWS for details on the transport of captive-raised game birds.
The following is a list of non-native, invasive, and domestic birds not federally protected by Migratory Bird Treat Act laws and found in Tennessee:

ghostfive

So is collard dove season open? have only seen it listed same time as regular dove
After 2 years of talking with TWRA they finally agreed with the Federal Migratory bird folks, but only after I spoke with the regional director.

Collared doves are an invasive species and they do list them in the dove season. The reason being, most people don't know how to identify them from mourning doves.

The TWRA conclusion was, you can legally take them any time but if you mistakenly shoot a mourning dove you are breaking the law. The regional director from the Federal agency confirmed this with me personally when she called me while I was picking up a pizza. I now carry a copy of the Federal law on what species can be taken and when without the need for a deprivation permit.

Included are blackbirds, Redwing blackbirds, starlings, English sparrows, collared doves, pigeons, European geese, muskovy ducks, cowbirds and I'm sure I left out a couple. Hope this helps clear it up.

Last edited:

mike243

I have always read if there is not a proclamation or a season then you can't shoot it, maybe SCN will wander through , we have very few collard doves around here but only 2 eggs a year they may never get a foot hold

ghostfive

I have always read if there is not a proclamation or a season then you can't shoot it, maybe SCN will wander through , we have very few collard doves around here but only 2 eggs a year they may never get a foot hold

Attachments

• 20230612_105512.jpg
    20230612_105512.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 25

ghostfive

Sent to me from, again, the Federal regional director for Migratory birds. I changed phones or I could show you the entire conversation with TWRA.

ghostfive

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230612_170126_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20230612_170126_Messenger.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20230612_170134_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20230612_170134_Messenger.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 23

ghostfive

From what I know, the collard dove is invasive and not regulated. That air gun hunting looks like a lot of fun.
Air gun hunting is so much fun and opens a lot of places to you a powder burner wouldn't be allowed or safe. The guns we use aren't the junk from Walmart or Basspro, the FX Maverick Compact I use most of the time was over $2400 rigged out. It's a .22 but can be changed to several calibers and if I change to a longer barrel it's good to 250 yards in .22.

mike243

No trying to keep you out of trouble not give you trouble, big difference, I do see they stated while you are on your property which might get turned sideways with somebody . you stated you were hunting somebody else's property correct?

Latest posts