Auburn back in the top 10?

Spurhunter

I don't necessarily disagree that they should be in the top 25, but to go from preseason unranked, to 18th by week 6 then unranked again week 7 then back to knocking on the door of a top 10 team is pretty wild.
It's hard to put any stock in preseason polls. Look at all the frauds in there: Clemson #3, A&M #6, UNC #10, Miami #14, etc. Until a few games are played it's just a SWAG. I will agree it's weird that Auburn was left out of the Week 7 poll. But they re-entered at 19, then 18, now 12, so it's not like they went from unranked to 12 in a week.

Mescalero

Negative. You are credited with beating a ranked team if they are ranked when you beat them. Just like when A&M beat alabama. They get credit for beating the #1 team even though alabama is no longer #1.
Negative. You are credited with beating a ranked team if they are ranked when you beat them. Just like when A&M beat alabama. They get credit for beating the #1 team even though alabama is no longer #1.
So you are saying Alabama has a ranked win over Miami, which is currently unranked at 4-4?

Spurhunter

So you are saying Alabama has a ranked win over Miami, which is currently unranked at 4-4?
Yep. And #11 Florida. Espn agrees.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211101-191349_ESPN.jpg
    Screenshot_20211101-191349_ESPN.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Mescalero

Auburn Rankings by Week:
Week 1:

Yep. And #11 Florida. Espn agrees.
You are also claiming as ranked wins based on rankings (AP and Coaches polls) that don't mean anything. They have no bearing on anything.

Why should Iowa get credit for a "ranked win" week 1 over a now 2-6 Indiana simply because the journalists didn't know any better that Indiana's 2020 record was smoke and mirrors?

Every season since the late 1990s at least one team in the AP preseason top 10 has ended the season unranked.

ESPN? LOL.

Additionally, you also are saying that Alabama's two point win over previous AP #11 Florida is a better win than Georgia's Saturday dismantling of that same team.

Last edited:

Spurhunter

You are also claiming as ranked wins based on rankings (AP and Coaches polls) that don't mean anything. They have no bearing on anything.

Why should Iowa get credit for a "ranked win" week 1 over a now 2-6 Indiana simply because the journalists didn't know any better that Indiana's 2020 record was smoke and mirrors?

Every season since the late 1990s at least one team in the AP preseason top 10 has ended the season unranked.

ESPN? LOL.

Additionally, you also are saying that Alabama's two point win over previous AP #11 Florida is a better win than Georgia's Saturday dismantling of that same team.
I'm not saying I agree with it. I may or may not. I'm just saying that's how it is. A win over a ranked team is a win over a ranked team. When the playoff committee starts doing their thing they consider wins over ranked teams and the season isn't over. Obviously in mid January you can look at wins over teams ranked at the end of the season and find a better barometer for a team's success, but that's not what we are discussing.

Last edited:

PalsPal

I'm not saying I agree with it. I may or may not. I'm just saying that's how it is. A win over a ranked team is a win over a ranked team. When the playoff committee starts doing their thing they consider wins over ranked teams and the season isn't over. Obviously in mid January you can look at wins over teams ranked at the end of the season and find a better barometer for a team's success, but that's not what we are discussing.
I have access to a brick wall if you want it for your head :D !

Rankings (and results) can also change because of injury etc. But, preseason rankings are just a guess based on returning talent etc, and there will always be wild swings from the beginning of the season until the end.

But, what difference does ranked wins really mean. You play who you play, when you play them. A win is a win!

PillsburyDoughboy

It's hard to put any stock in preseason polls. Look at all the frauds in there: Clemson #3, A&M #6, UNC #10, Miami #14, etc. Until a few games are played it's just a SWAG. I will agree it's weird that Auburn was left out of the Week 7 poll. But they re-entered at 19, then 18, now 12, so it's not like they went from unranked to 12 in a week.
The love affair with auburn in the rankings is just weird. Someone is either getting paid off some favors are being done under the counter. No reasonable way to explain it. There are certainly times they should NOT be in the rankings at all. They should NOT be at #12 spot. Thats for sure.

Spurhunter

The love affair with auburn in the rankings is just weird. Someone is either getting paid off some favors are being done under the counter. No reasonable way to explain it. There are certainly times they should NOT be in the rankings at all. They should NOT be at #12 spot. Thats for sure.
The coaches' poll has them at 14. I'd put more stock in the coaches than the media. Either way they are a Top 15 team. The cream will rise to the top when they play Top 15 Texas A&M Saturday.

Mescalero

Absolutely.

Here's a crazy one. If they win out, they win the west o_O ! How awesome would that be :D ?
You guys honestly think any coaches are voting? Sunday is film study not voting in a poll that, again, doesn't matter. It's the school SIDs and GAs that submit votes.

Mescalero

No. I don't think the actual head coach is voting in polls, but I still trust guys on a coaching staff more than media clowns.
I'm not trying to be difficult, but your responses point out a complete misunderstanding and lack of knowledge regarding of these polls that are also held by many others.

So, you are saying that a GA or SID (I.e., sports information director who isn't on staff) actually watches 20 or more college football games on Saturday or DVRs them to watch on Sunday (while said GA is also breaking down film on next Saturday's opponent for his position coach)? They know as much as you and I do about these teams because they only follow two - their team and next Saturday's opponent.

Spurhunter

I'm not trying to be difficult, but your responses point out a complete misunderstanding and lack of knowledge regarding of these polls that are also held by many others.

So, you are saying that a GA or SID (I.e., sports information director who isn't on staff) actually watches 20 or more college football games on Saturday or DVRs them to watch on Sunday (while said GA is also breaking down film on next Saturday's opponent for his position coach)? They know as much as you and I do about these teams because they only follow two - their team and next Saturday's opponent.
I'm not sure what you are trying to convince me of, but whatever it is, you win. I don't know why I've argued this long. I honestly could not possibly care less what any poll says. I was just enjoying watching PDB's head explode because he can't stand the thought of Auburn being ranked, even if it's justified.

Trey13

You of all people calling something weird. And a love affair. 😂😂🤣🤣

PillsburyDoughboy

I'm not sure what you are trying to convince me of, but whatever it is, you win. I don't know why I've argued this long. I honestly could not possibly care less what any poll says. I was just enjoying watching PDB's head explode because he can't stand the thought of Auburn being ranked, even if it's justified.
Time catches up with auburn..it always does.

BamaProud

I'm getting great enjoyment from his refusal to A) acknowledge that Saban HAS a judgment expert and B) comment that the "said" expert speaks highly of Heuple :D !

I'm not sure I have ever heard Saban or very many other prominent coaches speak poorly of any other coaches. Its "coach-speak".

Saban has experts in lots of fields. Maybe some of it is silly, but maybe that is part of what has made him the best in the business.

Latest posts