Article in Buckmasters/ Spikes

AlabamaSwamper

I can't remember the exact reason for the article. Don't matter, I still saw something interesting. lol

They had the sheds of a buck from LA I think. 1.5-6.5y/o.

Nothing special really, he was a spike (6"or so) his 1.5 year. The next 5 went like this.

2- 8pt
3-8pt
4- Huge 6pt
5-8pt
6-8pt

YEs, the 4y/o year is what was interesting. He went from an 8pt his 3.5y/o antlers to a big 6pt and then back to an 8pt.

I'm guessing this deer was a pet and therefore got all the food he needed and well taken care of. I'm thinking it was a captive deer at MSU.

I wonder how many times wild bucks do this. How many will actually lose points at 3.5 or 4.5, be shot for "cull" bucks when they weren't actually "genetically" inferior.

BSK

All the time. We still know little about the driving forces in antler growth. Bucks in research pens and enclosures display all sorts of trends over their lifespans.

TAS

That's interesting.. :confused: I have two big 6 points this year that look 3.5 to 4.5 but they are not cull bucks IMO. They are mature shooters here. I think one of them was an 8 last year and was wondering if he is older than I think but maybe he's not....

turkeyhunter

I have saw similar studies in magazines, and on t.v. And just like you said, all the spikes in each study turned out to be fine deer. I would love to kill a 3.5 year old deer, even if it was a six point. It amazes me the amount of pure myths hunters that i know believe. Sit around at a checking station or talk to people who shoot spikes, or hunters who will not take a doe and you will hear all kinds of crap. I have noting against a hunter shooting what he wants, as long as he does not make up excuses about it. When a hunter starts trying to explain why they shot a deer, they more than likely should have let it go.

BSK

turkeyhunter said:
I have nothing against a hunter shooting what he wants, as long as he does not make up excuses about it. When a hunter starts trying to explain why they shot a deer, they more than likely should have let it go.

You said a mouthful there turkeyhunter.