Are Some Arrows and Broadheads Just Cursed?

Trapper John

I'm pretty picky about my setup. I square the cut end of the arrows and the inserts, I spin test my broadheads, and I do anything I can think of to maintain consistency and accuracy. However, being semi-new to archery something is bugging me and I want to know if this is normal.

There are a few arrows I have that will NOT group with the rest. Even after squaring the ends and spin testing them with the others they like to fly off, usually high and to the right. I've never thought much of it because I've always had enough that flew straight to hunt with. I'm just curious if this is typical of a group of arrows...to have a few that don't fly as true as the others.

Soon I'm going to start switching broadheads around to make sure it's not the head that's causing them to veer off. Other than that I'm not sure what's up with them.

Trapper John

I thought about that. I checked and re-checked the fletchings and just to be sure I re-fletched two of the rogue arrows and they hit the exact same spot afterwards.

Radar

Carbon arrows can vary slightly in spine throughout a dozen arrow shafts , therefore you may have some with a slightly weaker or stiffer spine .

JayMc

Have you indexed the nocks? I number all of my arrows and I'll notice over several shooting sessions that arrow #X seems to always hit low or left. I'll rotate the nock 120 degrees and see how it performs. Right now I'm fighting with 3D arrow #9. Dang thing just won't group.

You can get really scientific and chart the impact of each arrow and measure spine deflection, but I don't have the shooting skill, time or patience for that. :D

bobthebowhunter

I agree with Radar there. Spine of arrows can vary. I would just trash that arrow if you can't make it fly. Never really played with nocks before. I have always just trusted that they were on.

I will throw this out there. Ihave had arrows hit funny two or three time in a row. So I will mix them up. Shoot that arrow out of turn so to speak and not look at the #. When I go to the target that problem arrow is on the money. Could be a mental thing or could be a form issue.

Sounds like arrow spine though.

richmanbarbeque

JayMc said:
You can get really scientific and chart the impact of each arrow and measure spine deflection, but I don't have the shooting skill, time or patience for that. :D

You start doing this and youbetter not tell me about it. :crazy:

TJ, I have found that some just don't play nice with others. After you rotate your knock and that doesn't help replace it.

LCU

Spine and or fletchings, and maybe some mental stuff also?

I shoot my best with CE Maxima's with 2" Blazers.
Good arrows IMO.

If I shoot an arrow I know is of much lesser quality, I don't expect to shoot it well,and don't.
IMO a lot of it is mental.

But if I were you, I would mark those cursed arrows,and trash them.

Toxophilite Phil

I have done the same thing as JayMc as far as indexing your nock. I have filled the bathtub with water andstoopped the end sof the arrows up with dowels and floated them. The heavy side stays under the water. Just make a mark on mthe top side. And fletch the arrows accordingly. Thatn way all arrows should be the same. The spine deflection is a trick unless you have a deflection device or want to take the time to build one. I don't go quite that far.I have numbered them and shot them as bob has and it does seem like it could be a mental thing as well. But waht ever you try and if you think it helps then it will probably help your shooting. Good luck.

stik

From BOWdacious
If you are right handed and you go high right,it could be that your form is collapsing(you are creeping before the shot).Make sure that isn't the problem before you trash arrows.do try shooting them randomly without looking to see which arrow you are shooting.Have someone watch you to see if you are creeping forward on any of your shots.

Latest posts