Are Avian X decoys worth the cost?

rem270

I have a breeder and lookout hen and the half strut jake avian x decoys. I like them so that's all that matters.

Hunted with my buddy opening day of Ky and had his strutter decoy (Avian X) out. Had a gobbler at 20 yards that was following some hens. He eventually had enough and left them to try and whoop up on the strutter decoy and i shot him at 5 yards.

AT Hiker

IMO hen decoys make sense in open terrain environments, after all you are making a hen noise with the hopes a tom comes in to check it out. Most set ups allow for you to sit back in cover and lure the tom in with calls but sometimes not and a hen deke could help.

Full strut decoys on the other hand can prove to be disastrous. Either they can send the turkey running away from you or turn them into a suicide dead run right toward your gun. No calling required, simply put the strutter out.

Now the big question is; are Avian X or other pricey dekes worh the price? Im convinced a pink flamingo will work in certain situations, so no...realistic dekes are not "mandatory". But if these avian x dekes are durable, lite weight, easy to use, etc...then sure.

Heck, shoot you a hen in the fall. Skin her out, flesh it, borax and drap it over a mannikan and use it next Spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Os2 Outdoors

catman529":17qswgxx said:
Setterman":17qswgxx said:
No decoy is worth the cost. You don't need a plastic turkey to kill birds. It's the biggest myth associated with this sport and completely uneccesssry
it's not a myth, it's a preference. You don't need a $65 snakewood striker to kill a turkey either, but you really like the sound of it, and it is worth it to you personally.

Here's my take...

If you really like decoys, it might be worth the cost, you decide.

If you use decoys sometimes, it might not be worth the cost., but you decide.

If you rarely or never use decoys, don't spend that much dang money on a fake turkey. Still, it's up to you. If you are pretty hesitant, I wouldn't spend the money. But if you think you'll be happy and put them to good use, then go and buy a couple.

Exactly. I use a 3$ mouth call from Walmart an kill turkeys all over with just it 99% of the time.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

catman529

Os2 Outdoors":akcj25ji said:
catman529":akcj25ji said:
Setterman":akcj25ji said:
No decoy is worth the cost. You don't need a plastic turkey to kill birds. It's the biggest myth associated with this sport and completely uneccesssry
it's not a myth, it's a preference. You don't need a $65 snakewood striker to kill a turkey either, but you really like the sound of it, and it is worth it to you personally.

Here's my take...

If you really like decoys, it might be worth the cost, you decide.

If you use decoys sometimes, it might not be worth the cost., but you decide.

If you rarely or never use decoys, don't spend that much dang money on a fake turkey. Still, it's up to you. If you are pretty hesitant, I wouldn't spend the money. But if you think you'll be happy and put them to good use, then go and buy a couple.

Exactly. I use a 3$ mouth call from Walmart an kill turkeys all over with just it 99% of the time.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I have a similar mouth call that I use sometimes and it sounds fine. I call in 99% of my birds with a wing bone from a gobbler I shot 3 years ago, that didn't cost anything but some glue and thread to make.

Roost 1

If your gonna spend the money buy
The Dave Smith decoys. They are no maintenance decoy and looks much better, IMO! The avaians are notorious for bladder problems, they won't hold air. Not to mention if you shoot it it's ruined. There is a reason they come with a patch kit.
DSD all the way...

Poleaxe

Roost 1":2s9jkr6a said:
The Dave Smith decoys. They are no maintenance decoy and looks much better, IMO! The avaians are notorious for bladder problems, they won't hold air. Not to mention if you shoot it it's ruined. There is a reason they come with a patch kit.
DSD all the way...

Have you plugged a few holes in your days? Lol

Roost 1

Poleaxe":mjfugsmz said:
Roost 1":mjfugsmz said:
DSD all the way...

Yeah a few, but not on a decoy!!!! :tu:

Bucky

Roost 1":1t8rzzl9 said:
Poleaxe":1t8rzzl9 said:
Roost 1":1t8rzzl9 said:
DSD all the way...

Yeah a few, but not on a decoy!!!! :tu:

:rotf:

Latest posts