Archery memorabilia

PO Cedar

Here is a pic of a 1961 Howard Hill archery catalog given to me by a fellow police officer that knew I was obsessed with archery/bowhunting. This back cover of the catalog highlighted Hill in his movie,"Robin Hood"played by Errol Flynn. What archery history do you have that was given to you by mentors,relatives?
HowardHillcatalogcirca1961024.jpg

camocowboy

Once I sent a copy of my "Fred Bear Showed Me How" tape to the bear museum. Frank Scott called me up and we must have talked for 30 minutes. A week later a got a care package from Frank that had every picture of Fred Bear that was ever made. He also sent me the books "Field Notes" and some others. I regret that I didn't take him up on his offer to come down and visit with him.
I also received a Christmas Card from Charlie Kroll the Christmas before he passed.

I did a turkey video with a Georgia Camo company once. One of the fellas that hunted with us loved that Fred Bear song so much he sent me a bow that Fred had signed with a picture of him signing it. He said he had two with multiple serial numbers and he wanted to give me one.

My favorite memorbilia story though is about Roy Rogers. I wrote a song for Roy's autobiography and got to spend time with him on several occasions. The first time I got to meet him, he took my wife Doris and me on a personal tour of the museum. Afterwards I asked him why I didn't see any of his old archery stuff there.
He looked at me kinda funny and said "Jim, in all the years we have had this museum I think your the first to ask about that and bowhunting was something I loved. I use to hunt with Howard Hill and Errol Flynn you know." I went on to tell him how I remembered seeing him on Ed Sullivan shooting balloons with six-guns and then pulling out that old longbow and quiver and shooting balloons off a big windmill. A couple of years later I was back in California to sing at "End of Trail Cowboy shoot".
Roy had passed away by then and Doris and me went to visit his grave. We drove back back by the Museum and lo and behold we found an exibit with that old longbow and quiver full of arrows.
The amazing thing was that it was next to a little theater that they had built in the museum since I was there. As I was looking at the exibit I heard myself singing from the theater "What ol Roy Would Do" Doris smiled and said "I think he's trying to tell you something."

PO Cedar

I would have liked to have spent time talking to Frank Scott as much as I would Fred Bear. He seemed to be the true soft- spoken gentleman when I watched him narrate the tour of the museum in Gainesville. Another pair of greats I enjoyed listening to were Ted Williams and Curt Gowdy. Who could possibly replace these caliber people? No one I am familiar with. It seems principles,morals, and ethics have gone out the window with today's high profilers. Sad but it should make we "just average folks" more vigilant in "walking the walk-talking the talk" for the limited few we may come in contact/interact with and have an opportunity to positively influence.

Toxophilite Phil

Glad to see some interest in the old stuff. I know Jim is eat up with just as I am. Which in my opinion Jim sums it up best in one of his songs...."when man takes to adventure, the bow was always there".

PO Cedar

That is some stuff you will need to preserve. The glove looks like the one Fred Bear liked(according to old pics I've seen)-
I recognize the Stemmler name as a pioneer in archery. Nice gift!! Just make sure you secure it and all other "treasures" if you are going to use commercial movers to move you!!

Locksley

"I hesitate to use superlatives to describe this man's ability for fear I may sound trite, but how else does one describe an athlete who is phenomenal. In pro sports today the standouts are referred to as super stars. Howard Hill was a super SUPER star. He is one of the few men to become a genuine legend during his own lifetime." Bob Swinehart, a pretty fair country archer himself, made those statements in Sagittarius. Has Hill's popularity waned since his death in 1975? As a collector of archery books I keep pretty close to the market, always searching for that rare, elusive title and over the past year I've seen the demand for Hunting The Hard Way and Wild Adventure sky-rocket. It doesn't appear that Howard Hill shall be forgotten anytime soon.
http://www.stickbow.com/FEATURES/HISTORY/Hill.CFM

AFFIRMATION: "Now take, I pray thee, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out into the field and take me some venison." Issac to Esau, his eldest son, Genesis 27-3.

Radar

PO Cedar said:
That is some stuff you will need to preserve. The glove looks like the one Fred Bear liked(according to old pics I've seen)-
I recognize the Stemmler name as a pioneer in archery. Nice gift!! Just make sure you secure it and all other "treasures" if you are going to use commercial movers to move you!!

Thanks, the treasures have a lot of sentimental value to me , and I keep them in a secure area . :)

Latest posts