Ar help?

Madbowh

I'm no ar expert or gunsmith. I bought this upper and want to take the front sight off. Can I take just the front sight off and keep the tan rail or get a new rail.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230922_102040_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20230922_102040_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 38

Specializedjon

I'm no ar expert or gunsmith. I bought this upper and want to take the front sight off. Can I take just the front sight off and keep the tan rail or get a new rail.
Why are you taking the A2 front sight off, just curious. I have a few AR's with them on and I run red dots and optics over the top of them just fine. I think they're a good, unbatteried <<<great word 😂, co-witness option should your optic of choice fail.

Again, just curious.

Madbowh

Mainly at the moment because I see it through my red dot. Up until a couple years ago I only wanted my open sights, but with this I've been wanting just the red dot. First day at the range with it my battery was dead so that could be an issue. I've not found a set up I can use open sights by looking under my red dot, is there an option for that?

On my 270 I've got a good Burris scope and still naturally go to my open sights up to 200
Why are you taking the A2 front sight off, just curious. I have a few AR's with them on and I run red dots and optics over the top of them just fine. I think they're a good, unbatteried <<<great word 😂, co-witness option should your optic of choice fail.

Again, just curious.

This gun will probably be going very long periods of time without any use, this is my home self defense I guess you could say. I don't want to spend a ton on it. My wife loved it at the range but ammo goes to fast.

Madbowh

We might have to really dumb this down, I'm horribly inexperienced with working on guns or parts. Gas block?

I'm a damn good shot just don't know a lot about a lot of guns. Really struggling here because the red dot will be best but open sights are very reliable. Keeping in mind anyone in the house would pick this up for defense so my wife or daughter really need the red dot or I wouldn't even have it on there.

Specializedjon

We might have to really dumb this down, I'm horribly inexperienced with working on guns or parts. Gas block?

I'm a damn good shot just don't know a lot about a lot of guns. Really struggling here because the red dot will be best but open sights are very reliable. Keeping in mind anyone in the house would pick this up for defense so my wife or daughter really need the red dot or I wouldn't even have it on there.
Don't worry about the gas block. If you're using this for home defense, I'd just leave it as-is and put a red dot on top and call it good. Less is more.

IF....big if, you ever do need to use this to defend your home, the last thing you want the opposing lawyer to hold up in court is your tricked out AR. Just my opinion.

Specializedjon

Mainly at the moment because I see it through my red dot. Up until a couple years ago I only wanted my open sights, but with this I've been wanting just the red dot. First day at the range with it my battery was dead so that could be an issue. I've not found a set up I can use open sights by looking under my red dot, is there an option for that?

On my 270 I've got a good Burris scope and still naturally go to my open sights up to 200

This gun will probably be going very long periods of time without any use, this is my home self defense I guess you could say. I don't want to spend a ton on it. My wife loved it at the range but ammo goes to fast.
Yes, they have what's called a "co-witness mount" for a red dot. It sits up higher and is machined out so you can still get a sight picture under your optic. I'll try and find a link. One of MANY MANY options.

1695404336978.png

rifle02

The quick and easy way and I've done it a few times is this: saw the sight Tower off of the gas block portion, clamp the barrel Square in a milling machine and Mill the top off the cut parts so that it at least looks nice. Problem solved. You still have your original gas block in place and no front sight to see through your red dot.

44 mag

I got something like that but that front sight is so tall it covers up the lower half of my red dot. Guess I'll leave it, im hitting 6"steel with it up to 200yds. My wife's good up to 100
That's the way it is supposed to work. I have never seen a riser that is high enough to look under. I would put a flip up back up rear sight behind your red dot. In the event your battery's die from sitting in a closet for a long time you can flip your rear sight up and still be in the fight. They are supposed to co-witness in the bottom half or 1/3 of your red dot. So that you don't have to change your cheek weld or anything.

Latest posts