Apple Tree

OldFart

Greets Fm CO
My backyard apple tree produced several bushels last year of very good apples. We actually got tired of keeping up of picking them and processing them? This year, I've only seen one green apple that was on the ground. My wife and I saw absolutely NO blossoms this year, last year tree was full of them. Why?? Ray

Dodge Man

cold weather or frost when the blossoms are forming would be my guess. that is the reason we have not had apples the last 2 years at my house. just about the time the blossoms should open we get a frost or this past year the temp dropped below freezing for 2 days and the blossoms froze.

OldFart

Thanks for answer. Guesss the weather has been late springs in W TN. Don't know if I have mentioned before but I am orig fm Dyer, only about 30 miles fm you. I used to have aunts, uncles and cousins in Dyersburg but they have all died or moved off. One uncle was a judge and another a doctor but this was a very long time ago. We also had a very late spring here. I usually come back to W TN to hunt 3 times a year but that may change now as mother in law has sold her house and now lives in senior living and my sister, who has a long history of mental illness, burned down the old family homeplace. So where I used to have choices, now I am limited to very crowded quarters at mother in law's. I'm thinking of options, such as placing an RV on my farm, a very small cabin/shed etc.
Thanks Ray

RaschChronicles

Boy, that's a bummer!

As I mentioned in my initial post, I'm planning on moving to Tennessee and one of the things I am looking forward to is planting an orchard of standard apples. I'll have to study your experiences and see what the best options and methodologies might be. As long as I can grow enough apples for the Mrs to bake into pies, and for me to make to make hard cider, I'll be pleased.

Best regards,
Albert �Yes, I am still in Afghanistan!� Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles
The Best Boar Hunting Calibers: Part I

OldFart

My experiences with my apple tree are in CO. I would think TN would be better for apples than CO. Our soil here is usually pretty poor too. I make up my own soil for my veggie garden, one third each of sand, compost and peat moss.
Where in TN are you planning to move? Ray

RaschChronicles

Ray,

So far the Mrs and I have it narrowed down to the eastern third of the state. A lot depends on where she can get a job as a dental hygenist, cause I am retiring after this stint in Afghanistan! Well, what I mean by that is that I am going to put together a proper machine shop and just do precision jobs as they come. That and some blacksmithing and woodwork for me, and some gunsmithing, and probably some experimental scientific stuff, and...

I'm sure you get what I'm talking about! LOL! So it will have to be close enough to a city for the Mrs, and the amenities she will need. Me, as long as I can make all the noise I want, (Smithys are noisy!) I'll be happy.

I was telling BeeKeeper that I want something about two thirds wooded, and the rest in pasture so I can garden and set my hives up. I've wanted an apple orchard all my life and by golly, I am going to have one. I have a lot planned out, and plenty more in the idea stage, so we shall see how it all works out!

Thanks again!
Best regards,
Albert �Afghanus� Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles
Make Beef Jerkey at Home!

Dodge Man

I am closer to Dyer than I am Dyersburg I just use Dyersburg because it is the closest larger town to me. I live in Tatumville, TN. I think it just depends on what type of apple trees you have and when they bloom. There is a guy about 1/2 a mile from me that has 50 or 60 apple trees and he did not have any trouble with them making apples this year.