Anyone want to go ginsenging in east tn?

PickettSFHunter

Pretty good sized plant
4prong.jpg

rutnstrut2

I will try to get some of my pics on here that I got this weekend I had a alright time saturday got 70 bunches good day and great times

rutnstrut2

where you located? In anderson county they come to the coop and here there is people come to a few differant places. you just need to ask around in your area

splitter

i heard 465 a pound last weekend, but i'm sure with alot of people around here being laid off more people will be out digging and that will drive the market down. me and dad went saturday about a third of the pods are turning red right now so i'd say by this weekend the majority will be red. watch out for snakes tho they seem to be horrible this year. i'll post some pics that i have from 1 prong to 4 prongs so you guys might have an idea of what it looks like, as long as you stay out of my spot lol

rutnstrut2

You are right people are out by the dozens digging because of being laid off but around here it is only about 325 right now maybe it will start to go up like it use to not down like last year. Good luck to you splitter you cant dig it all!!!!!!!

Outdoor Enthusiast

My parents have a farm in Smith county. I don't personally know anyone around there that digs the stuff, and I don't plan to start myself. I was just curious where people sell it. Thanks.

splitter

ok update got a price today from a guy who sells it, 300 starting out, but be patient anyone who has dug it much before knows that the buyer will always pay more later on in the season

splitter

think about some of the snakeiest wet dark areas you've been in the woods and there's a good chance you'll find some if you look hard enough, but i've found some big stuff in places where it doesn't normally go, there aren't any set rules on it but dark north facing slopes have been best in my short experience, they say it doesn't grow good in pines either but the biggest plant i ever found was on the edge of a pine lot, i'm sure it's because of the acidity of the soil due to pine needles if i was guessing

rutnstrut2

Spitter you hit it on the head but this year I have found a good deal of mine in the bottom of hollars. And at the very edge of the woods. I was on some prime lookin land yesterday day but only found a few small threes but I am going back because they got to be some big stuff in there looks just to dang good really wet rocky north facing ridge.Spitter I hope he is right and it goes up this year later because last year where it started is the high and only went down from there.

rutnstrut2

I had a guy come up to me today at work and was wanting me to buy what he had dugg green, How much green would you think it would take to make a pound? I am guessing three what do you all think?

rutnstrut2

I have only found very few with red berries but alot of what I have dug did not have any on them just the stem where the berries pod should be. The price here started out at 280 a lb. going to try and go tomarrow if everything works out, I had a guy want me to buy green roots from him for 5 an oz what is your alls thoughts on this should I buy from him or not?

TN Larry

rutnstrut2 said:
I have only found very few with red berries but alot of what I have dug did not have any on them just the stem where the berries pod should be. The price here started out at 280 a lb. going to try and go tomarrow if everything works out, I had a guy want me to buy green roots from him for 5 an oz what is your alls thoughts on this should I buy from him or not?

It seems that it takes about 3 pounds of green to make a pound of dried. This would be $80 per pound green and around $240 per pound dried. It usually goes up later in the year as mentioned earlier so probaably not a bad deal.

Latest posts