Anyone use a ghillie suit?

PalsPal

I've been picked off a few times, especially in the early season in the open woods.

I'm thinking about carrying a ghillie suit with me and throw over me when I get set up. My main concern is how hot it might be.

Any tips?

Andy S.

Never used one. I always try to go lightest weight possible, and the ghillie suit looks a little bulky and warm for my liking. But then again, I have never actually tried one on. Anxious to hear your feedback if you use one this year.

Last edited:

deerfever

I would try the leafy suit, they are light weight and do a great job. I carry mine in the truck and just throw it on over my work clothes when I hunt before or after work. Very handy !

PalsPal

I would try the leafy suit, they are light weight and do a great job. I carry mine in the truck and just throw it on over my work clothes when I hunt before or after work. Very handy !

That's what I got, not a true ghillie suit.

The one I bought is made like a rainsuit poncho. I'm thinking about altering it some for a better fit and not be restrictive for using my pot calls, etc.

deerfever

That's what I got, not a true ghillie suit.

The one I bought is made like a rainsuit poncho. I'm thinking about altering it some for a better fit and not be restrictive for using my pot calls, etc.
I don't know if we are talking about the same thing. Mine has a jacket and pants. They are usually one size fits all and a leafy 3d camo look. Very handy and do not restrict calling in anyway. There are some that are very inexpensive, Walmart Even has one online.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210328-075455.png
    Screenshot_20210328-075455.png
    283.6 KB · Views: 54

PalsPal

I don't know if we are talking about the same thing. Mine has a jacket and pants. They are usually one size fits all and a leafy 3d camo look. Very handy and do not restrict calling in anyway. There are some that are very inexpensive, Walmart Even has one online.

The one I got looks similar just a one piece.

Attachments

• leafy suit.jpg
    leafy suit.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 62

Union Co. Boy

I've been using leafy suits for about 20 years. I do feel like they make a difference. No substitute for holding dead still, but in a less than optimal situation they can tip the scales in your favor a bit more.

TheLBLman

No, but I used to wear a leafy suit, can't any longer too many briars where I hunt
I've tried also with the "leafy" suits, and their hanging up on brush & briars is why I quit using.

I even cut off one leg of the pants in an effort to minimize the hang-ups. That did reduce them a little. Then, I cut off both sleeves on the top piece, which also helped a bit.

Finally just quit using for turkey hunting.
Sometimes, will use (what's left) for archery deer hunting.
What's left is a 1-legged pant, and a sleeveless "vest" now 🙂

Last edited:

Boll Weevil

Any tips?
They might be picking you out due to setup, glare, or reflection off a shiny surface...I've had that happen before. At least I think that's what it was. If there's sky behind you or no back cover, wearing glasses, a shiny receiver on your gun or any little thing out of place they'll pick up on it.

HUNT4ONE

I've been picked off a few times, especially in the early season in the open woods.

I'm thinking about carrying a ghillie suit with me and throw over me when I get set up. My main concern is how hot it might be.

Any tips?
Skip the suit and buy a HECS outfit. It works! the turkeys see you but don't recognize you as danger...

megalomaniac

I love my ghillie top. It's camo jute sewed to a mesh foundation. I've had hens at 2 to 3 feet from me without spooking. That being said, it's too hot when the temps get above 80 deg, even when wearing short sleeve shirts underneath. I keep it rolled up and carry it through the briers in rough stuff.

The North Mountain leafy top is a nice compromise. Extra camouflage, but without the bulk or heat.

No need to ever waste money on 3D bottoms.

huvrman

I've used both. Prefer the leafy suit. Guilie picks up every leaf, stick, and piece of brush you encounter.

Latest posts