Anyone tried this climbing method?

Mike Belt

I like a seat so climbing like that would never work for me. However, at one time I'd do whatever it took to get up a tree. I tried to invent a climbing system to get me up in some of those huge trees with lots of big limbs. The idea was to mount a stand on one of them spreading out from the trunk (sitting on a horizontal rather than a vertical limb). I made a throw rope with a weight attached to it on one end and a rolled up ladder made from rope and aluminum tubing on the other end. The idea was to throw the rope over a limb, pull it down, and tie it off on the ground after the ladder was pulled up as high as I wanted. That part worked great. Once you started climbing it you were pushing the bottom of the ladder away from you as you put your weight on it and basically you'd end up climbing horizontally through the air rather than vertically. At times you were even climbing upside down. I tried anchoring the bottom of the ladder to the ground and then when you tried climbing you'd constantly be spinning around. I had to abandon my idea but it sure would have made some great film clips while I was experimenting.

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
It's like climbing a rope using prusik knots.
I agree with everyone about needing a safety harness of some kind. A climbing harness could be used instead of his thigh only rig.

fairchaser

Mike Belt":13tx4aix said:
I like a seat so climbing like that would never work for me. However, at one time I'd do whatever it took to get up a tree. I tried to invent a climbing system to get me up in some of those huge trees with lots of big limbs. The idea was to mount a stand on one of them spreading out from the trunk (sitting on a horizontal rather than a vertical limb). I made a throw rope with a weight attached to it on one end and a rolled up ladder made from rope and aluminum tubing on the other end. The idea was to throw the rope over a limb, pull it down, and tie it off on the ground after the ladder was pulled up as high as I wanted. That part worked great. Once you started climbing it you were pushing the bottom of the ladder away from you as you put your weight on it and basically you'd end up climbing horizontally through the air rather than vertically. At times you were even climbing upside down. I tried anchoring the bottom of the ladder to the ground and then when you tried climbing you'd constantly be spinning around. I had to abandon my idea but it sure would have made some great film clips while I was experimenting.

Mike that's thinking way outside the box. You must have been part squirrel in your younger days.

tree_ghost

Never tried it but I'd like to know your feedback on it if you give it a shot... looks slow and awkward to me. I'll stick with my spikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dsa5455

Looks like there would be a small window of balance. Could roll around and be hanging with your side against the tree or maybe even backwards. In the dark on maybe a rainy morning. Ouch! Maybe if I were 15 years old with little to no sense.

tree_ghost

bds240":nkg5qxek said:
Looks like a bad and unsafe version of the knaider swaider climbing method.

Kind of the way I see it. However I'm not one to tell a man something is safe or unsafe for them to try a grown man should be able to make that assessment on their own accord. The problem I see is that when you need to move the "Prussic" knot up with your leg simultaneously you only have 1 point of contact on the tree for stability. While a lineman's belt would help with this problem I would find it difficult to maintain stability (at least in my head). Also any bends in the tree trunk or limbs would seem difficult at best to navigate around if not dang near impossible. Again this is just my theory based on watching the video...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bds240

Tree ghost.....As a tndeer "family member" I think I owe it to you guys to call out something I think is unsafe and might get one of you guys hurt when there are better and safer ways to climb a tree

Latest posts