Anyone make their own wine?

TN.Frank

Ok, so you don't cook it but it is a food of sorts so that's why I'm posting here in the Cooking forum. I'm giving it a try, should know something in a couple days. I've made a cheap type of hard cider before. Basically, concentrated apple juice with some sugar put into it and a bit of baker's yeast. Let it ferment out then put it in the fridge to put the yeast to sleep and after it sits for a bit and clears in then you can pour it off into another container. I added a bit more concentrate to sweeten it back up a bit and it was pretty decent.
I'm basically doing the same thing but with grape juice this time. If it works out I can make up a gallon of wine for about $4 bucks, a lot cheaper then the $16 I was paying for it.
Desperate times call for desperate measures, LOL.

farmin68

TN.Frank said:
Ok, so you don't cook it but it is a food of sorts so that's why I'm posting here in the Cooking forum. I'm giving it a try, should know something in a couple days. I've made a cheap type of hard cider before. Basically, concentrated apple juice with some sugar put into it and a bit of baker's yeast. Let it ferment out then put it in the fridge to put the yeast to sleep and after it sits for a bit and clears in then you can pour it off into another container. I added a bit more concentrate to sweeten it back up a bit and it was pretty decent.
I'm basically doing the same thing but with grape juice this time. If it works out I can make up a gallon of wine for about $4 bucks, a lot cheaper then the $16 I was paying for it.
Desperate times call for desperate measures, LOL.

Details?

TN.Frank

Not really any "details" to talk about. Just mix up 3 cans of WalMart 100% grape juice concentrate with 6 cans of water add a cup of sugar and sprinkle in some baker's yeast. Put it in a 4L glass wine jug with some kind of fermentation lock(I run a plastic tube thru a hold in the lid into a small half full glass of water) and let the yeast do it's thing until the fermentation stops at which point you should be at about 14% alcohol.
Put it in the fridge and let it settle for a day, pour it off into another container, put that in the fridge for another day to let it settle, pour it off and you're ready to drink it.
I'd keep it in the fridge though, just to stop any further fermentation. Also, if it's too "dry"(not sweet enough) add a can of concentrate to it to sweeten it up a bit.

TN.Frank

Well, after 7 and a half days I did a taste test and the first two jugs were just where I want em'. Not to tart and not too sweet. I Put the wine into a large stainless pot and brought the temp up to 140F to kill off the yeast and stop fermentation. Put it in the jugs and into the fridge. Once it chills down I'll try a little bit to see what I've got then let the rest set for a couple days so the dead yeast can sink to the bottom. Then I can decant it off into a jug for storage. Wish me luck.

TN.Frank

Well, it actually turned out pretty good. I'm pleased with the product that I got and it only took a bit less then 8 days to ferment. Once the next batch is about ready I'll start a third.

TN.Frank

One thing that I am finding. You need to rack the wine a couple times a day. This will help to clear it since all the dead yeast will settle in the bottom of the bottle. I pour it off in the morning and see a lot of "stuff" in the bottom of the bottle then again in the afternoon and see stuff that's settled out in the bottom. Racking is the key to getting your wine clear, not that the dead yeast in the wine will hurt you or anything.

TN.Frank

This is so easy, wish I'd done it a long time ago. Got my second batch pasteurized and in the jugs in the fridge. I've racked em' off a couple times. Normally takes about 5 or 6 times to get most of the sediment out before drinkin'. Not saying it because I made it but DANG, this IS some good wine. If ya'll like wine get some concentrated 100% grape juice(3/4L jug) 6 cups of water, a cup of sugar and some "magic fairy dust"(aka Baker's Yeast), let it work for 8 to 10 days, depending on how sweet you want it then heat it up to 140 to kill the yeast, rack it off a few times and enjoy.

TN.Frank

This homemade wine deal is the bomb. I let this last batch ferment for 10 days so it's a bit tarter and not so sweet as the last. So, who else is doing this? We've got to get together and have a Wine Tasting contest or something. This it totally awesome.

Rowdy

Had a Deacon at our church who made some FINE plum wine. Brought some to a golf outing...a few were a little
imoksmiley.gif
by the time we finnished :D

TNLynn

Anytime the wine gets over 90 degrees, the alcohol starts evaporating, the hotter the faster! I never let mine get over room temp. You can buy a very cheap stabilizer that will take care of the yeast in just a few days.

TN.Frank

Stuff is better after 10 days of fermenting rather then only 8. Makes it a bit "dryer" so I think it has a better flavor. I've got 3 jugs going that I just started yesterday, they'll be ready in 10 days. Hope the two jugs I did the day before hold out for that long, LOL.

Latest posts