Anyone hunt Alabama WMA: James D. Martin Skyline

philsanchez76

Update on Alabama public: first ever out of state trip and Bama kicked my butt with it's hill country. Hiked 8-10 miles/day. Bought 3 day license did 2 days of bow hunting the last day being gun hunt. Literally didn't see a soul Wednesday/Thursday bow hunting. Friday- truck in every pull out!

Goal was to scout all day Wednesday to find a good bow set up for the evening hunt. Same goal Thursday. Friday gun hunt goal was to get way out and stalk remote ridges where I thought maybe all the added pressure would be pushing the deer.

Only encountered 4 deer the entire hunt and all of those were bumped while scouting as I walked transition lines between thick cutover type stuff and hardwoods. I found 2 spots with concentrated sign (scrapes still being worked and plenty of scat and fresh tracks) and I focused on those 2 areas.

I never actually saw a deer while I was set up. The deer could bed almost anywhere cuz there were plenty of thick areas, so my major issue was that I could not figure out what the deer were eating. No crops and no acorns I could find. Usually my go to in middle Tennessee would be the privet, honeysuckle and briar thickets that our deer bed and feed in. But I could find no such vegetation on this WMA. It seemed completely devoid of any of those invasive thicket plants. I definitely will need more time scouting to figure this out. Think I could've tracked one down if I had purchased the 10 day permit, just didn't have the time. Anyway, may try again next year.

Score: Bama 1, me zero. WMA may be coached by Saban?

Rackseeker

I was kinda joking with my post above. I have been hunting up there going on 40 years. If you want to kill a buck up there get in the areas you think nobody else will go. When you look around and think you will need a helicopter to get a deer out of there. Then you will be in the right area. As far as food , acorns is the main food source. Cane thickets are a key feature to look for also.

philsanchez76

I was kinda joking with my post above. I have been hunting up there going on 40 years. If you want to kill a buck up there get in the areas you think nobody else will go. When you look around and think you will need a helicopter to get a deer out of there. Then you will be in the right area. As far as food , acorns is the main food source. Cane thickets are a key feature to look for also.
I kind of figured you were laying on a little sarcasm. Your depictions seems spot on with what I saw this last weekend!

TN-Hunter

I've deer and turkey hunted James D Martin / Skyline growing up (turkey more than deer). It's probably been 10 years since I've really been out there. You will be in the foothills of Appalachia, up/down with flats/benches and rock ledges. Stick to the thick cover with cane and cedars. The mature and open hardwoods are tempting but not much there for deer. East side is harder access and gets less pressure.

Latest posts