Anybody want to recommend a good metal detector

7-08 fan

Something in the 500-600 range. I want one but man they seem really expensive for something that is just a hobby. I have several old homesites on my place I would like to hunt, I'm just cheap and don't want to come off the money I guess. Does anyone have a used one they would like to sell?

Crow Terminator

Hey I can help you find a used one. Go to this forum:

http://www.mytreasurespot.com/main/list.php?7

I know most of the guys on the forum personally and they are all good guys. There is a Whites MXT 300 on there right now for like $375 and that is a great deal for a pretty good unit.

My good friend Keith Cochran is a detector dealer. I'd give him a look and call first. Tell him Daniel Tn sent you!!
http://www.bonniebluedetectors.com/

Also, give Don Dodson a look at North Georgia Relics too. He has a website but give him a call for the most up to date trade ins. He also has very good prices on new machines. Tell him Daniel Tn sent you. http://www.northgeorgiarelics.com/

I know both these dealers well and they will do you right on a new or used one. For $400 to $500 you can buy an absolutely great detector to last you years to come.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
If you are just getting into detecting and not sure about a big investment for the long haul. Check the pawn shops for a good deal.
The older models required alittle more skill to set up.Many of The new ones are digital turn them on and go hunting.Like cars and trucks most people have thier favorite brand.In the right hands most of them will work fine. I have a Garrett now .I have used White's,Fishers and Bounty Hunter's also and made good finds with them all.
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid ... Categories

Crow Terminator

Naw best bet is to stay away from cheaper low end ones or older detectors. They have came a long way in the last 10 years or so.

Stay away from any Radio Shack or Bounty Hunter machines. Tesoro are ok machines for low end machines but most of the other brands will walk circles around them in depth.

Whites makes a few good machines. Pending on what you want to do; look for old coins, relic hunt, beach hunt, or just stay in school yards. In the Whites line I would consider the MXT or V3 models. The DFX is a little too complicated; too many settings depend on one another to work right. The TDI is their cats meow but its costly. Stay away from their other machines...you'd do better with a stick and a magnet attached to the end lol.

Garrett has came a long ways in the past few years. They have the Ace series which is good for coin hunting modern coins but their new one is the A/T Pro. I'm hearing it is okay in good soil but not so great in mineralized soil but would still be one to look at in your price range.

Fisher/Tecknetics are the same company. The Fisher F series are good. Stay away from the 1200 series. They are old technology. The F Series are what you want in the Fisher line....the F5 or F70 would be good choices for you, or a used F75. Tecknetics has the same machines as the Fishers...just different name on them. Their Omega series are good and the T2 is the equivelant to the F75.

Minelab is out there too....their XTerra series are what you will want to look into in their line. Their high end Explorer detector is okay but the XTerra 705 is just as good, lighter weight, and goes deeper to be honest and is cheaper.

None of the other manufacturers are worth looking into IMO. I've owned all the above high end models with the exclusion of the new Garrett A/T Pro.

JLC

I've got a White's Pizm 6T if anyone is interested. Son used it once and hung it up.

leebowhunts

I love to metal detect, its second only to deer hunting. I would by a good one, I walked over a buckle one time three or four times. My cheap detector would not go deep enough. First time in a buddy of mine dug it at 6 inches. he ws using a V3 from whites. Crow knows his stuff about detectors. He is on most of the sites and well respected. He has some good videos on you tube.

huntingsonny

i have a garret a/t pro on the way,like C T said garrett has come a long way.i bought the a/t pro cause you can hunt land or water with it.

Deck78

I have a Tesoro Tiger Shark and it is salt water certified to 50+ft! I can hit the ground or the water. Works real good on metal but haven't had any luck hunting lead in TN with it yet.

Latest posts