Anybody seen an alligator snapper in TN?

WTM

Mike Belt":30bajt2w said:
Curious here.... How do you tell the difference between a snapper and an alligator snapper in the 5 pound range?

aligator snapper will have distinct ridges on the top of its shell and a smooth tail. common snapper will have a smoother shell with a distinct ridge along the top of its tail. plus the head of an alligator snapper is larger with a different shape.

Paul Burns

Do any of you remember when Mr. Borchard (spelling) at the catfish restaurant in Camden was still commercial fishing. He caught a new state record snapping turtle, then a few weeks later he caught one that beat his own record. I am thinking they weighted over 150 # each. I know for a fact they could snap a big hunk out of a skulling paddle. This was about 1972 or 3.
WTM this is at home for you.

Crosshairy

I saw an absolute giant while canoeing down the Spring River in AR about 10 years ago. It was as big as the one in the Memphis Zoo. Shell was 3 feet easy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WTM

Paul Burns":3ikp1n69 said:
Do any of you remember when Mr. Borchard (spelling) at the catfish restaurant in Camden was still commercial fishing. He caught a new state record snapping turtle, then a few weeks later he caught one that beat his own record. I am thinking they weighted over 150 # each. I know for a fact they could snap a big hunk out of a skulling paddle. This was about 1972 or 3.
WTM this is at home for you.

he used to have one of the shells in the restaurant before he sold it. lol, in her teenage years, my wife used to dress catfish for him as a part time job.

Biggun4214

Alligator snappers are found in the western portion of the state. Their range would be similar to cottonmouths.
Common snappers are found statewide. They can reach weights of 30-40 pounds and up.

Rob-HC Hunter

Not sure if I have seen an alligator snapper. But these regular snappers are fun to catch with cut bluegill.
ea3eeaa550eb45e5e75470de5ac87804.jpg

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Rob-HC Hunter":tihbbl2b said:
Not sure if I have seen an alligator snapper. But these regular snappers are fun to catch with cut bluegill.
ea3eeaa550eb45e5e75470de5ac87804.jpg

I bet that one took a while to get in!! :shock:

Mike Belt

How many on here have fished specifically for turtle? I used to growing up and we caught a bunch. Cut bait or liver and a slow bite gradually ending up with a fight after the turtle swallowed the bait. I also drug a seine through a bunch of ditches and water holes catching bait for trotlines and did so barefoot. Many of those places were where we caught turtles and somewhere in the back of my mind I always thought about stepping on a turtle and the consequences. Never happened but it wouldn't have surprised me.

Yotekiller011

Many years ago (60s and 70s) I use to see them often on the French broad river. I grew up on a farm along the river and would see one while Bush hogging low spots in our fields. Commons mostly but alligator were there too. They would come from the river get in our ponds/lakes and absolutely kill the fish population and any ducks you had. That's probably what leads to its decline. I had one get a stringer of fish more than once while fishing. Pull your fish up to half of them eaten with the alligator turtle still hanging on feeding.

Latest posts