Anybody hunt kansas

hunter drew

I have a few questions about hunting out there. and will probably have more in the future. But the area I've gained permission to hunt is around Manhattan Kansas.

Questions
How easy is it to get drawled the first year?
If not how long does it take?

From what I can tell looks like I will be hunting unit 8, Have ya ever hunted that unit? and what can I expect?

Thanks for any info ya can help me with and some questions I have in the future

Jarred525

I have been drawed every year (seven years). I am not in that unit though. Unit 11. If you are not drawed, you have the ability to buy left over tags but you better be quick. They sell out in minutes. It is weird but you can buy a left over tag in an adjacent unit and still be O.K. Double check that if you get into that position but that is what my buddy was told a couple of years ago when he went through the process.

I love Kansas :)

AT Hiker

I drew the 7&8 muzzle loader tag this year. I hunted Republican County in 7, 8 is more water shed country.
I will look back over my notes and check draw odds but Im certain its not 100% (7&8). You might be better off applying for 8&9, in KS you put in for a combo of units. You should draw within 2 years though.
The muzzle loader tag is good for the early mid Sept season then you could go back during the rifle and hunt it if you did not fill your tag. That early season is tough and slow, could pay off huge but its sorta boring. Next year Im hoping to plan a archery hunt the first part of Nov. all crops will (should) be up and I will hunt the treed funnels and watersheds hoping to intercept some chasing mature bucks for some all day action.
Roads in that part of KS can be rough if it rains, like impassable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobbuck

I bow hunted(solo) some public ground around Manhattan probably 10 years ago. Good looking area and saw a lot of deer just nothing big enough while hunting. Saw some monsters from the truck though. Solo hunting sucks that far from home especially over Thanksgiving. I drew tag first year, but rifle is probably harder to draw.

Funny story when I got to town Saturday morning everywhere you looked you saw people dressed up in Barney colored purple. I had no idea that Kansas State U was in Manhattan and they had a big game that day. It was like Knoxville on game day just obnoxious purple instead of obnoxious Orange!

Good luck I need to plan a trip back out there.

Jarred525

AT Hiker":6eb68bmj said:
I drew the 7&8 muzzle loader tag this year. I hunted Republican County in 7, 8 is more water shed country.
I will look back over my notes and check draw odds but Im certain its not 100% (7&8). You might be better off applying for 8&9, in KS you put in for a combo of units. You should draw within 2 years though.
The muzzle loader tag is good for the early mid Sept season then you could go back during the rifle and hunt it if you did not fill your tag. That early season is tough and slow, could pay off huge but its sorta boring. Next year Im hoping to plan a archery hunt the first part of Nov. all crops will (should) be up and I will hunt the treed funnels and watersheds hoping to intercept some chasing mature bucks for some all day action.

Nothing like Kansas prerut/rut with a bow in hand. It is so much fun. I second your roads comment. It is like that where I go.

HuntingDicksonDTC

R.I.P.
Want to plan an out of state hunt and Kansas is on my short list. Been talking to a guy in Arizona about a coues deer hunt. And another in Saskatchewan Canada. Every year I say this is the year to plan one and I put it off. Not getting any younger need to just pull the trigger and do it.

Top Pin

AT Hiker":3bux7wht said:

Are you hunting public, or paying a trespassing fee? Just curious, and looking at planning a trip out there in the coming years.

AT Hiker

Top Pin":1y2fhfyx said:
AT Hiker":1y2fhfyx said:

Are you hunting public, or paying a trespassing fee? Just curious, and looking at planning a trip out there in the coming years.

Both but I put all my efforts eventually on the private ground I had access too because public was mostly corn (aka unhuntable cover for early season).
If you wanted to do a pure public land hunt I would check into Nebraska and their reservoirs. Tags are cheaper and more public land.

Top Pin

AT Hiker":2rkdbsoc said:
Top Pin":2rkdbsoc said:
AT Hiker":2rkdbsoc said:

Both but I put all my efforts eventually on the private ground I had access too because public was mostly corn (aka unhuntable cover for early season).
If you wanted to do a pure public land hunt I would check into Nebraska and their reservoirs. Tags are cheaper and more public land.

Thanks for the intel. Nebraska is high on the list!

Latest posts