Any day now

CATCHDAWG

They'll be running. I hope I don't miss the three/four day window.
FE40586D-EB05-4077-A52C-244763500D5F.jpeg

Wooden Arrow

That is what they are, probably average 15/20 lbs. I took that pic last year while working and by the time I got back they were gone. I'd love to get on them with a fly rod!
i go to the Holston here when the mulberries are ripe. enormous carp line up under the trees along the bank and suck down anything that falls in the water. a twenty lb carp can -really- jump if you use a thirty lb leader and lean on them with a 10 weight fly rod...:oops:

CATCHDAWG

i go to the Holston here when the mulberries are ripe. enormous carp line up under the trees along the bank and suck down anything that falls in the water. a twenty lb carp can -really- jump if you use a thirty lb leader and lean on them with a 10 weight fly rod...:oops:
Carp are fun to catch! Buffalo are a little different and a native species that I think is a little more challenging. Catching either on a fly rod is next level either way!

Wooden Arrow

Carp are fun to catch! Buffalo are a little different and a native species that I think is a little more challenging. Catching either on a fly rod is next level either way!
we got into a bunch of buffalo on the Holston at Rogersville one time, and caught one literally ever cast on tiny white curlytails. wish i'd had my fly rod...

Setterman

Buffalo don't have the same diet as carp. So they're almost impossible to get catch them except for this time of year, for some reason as they spawn or pre spawn they'll eat stuff that gets in their schools. It's weird, we landed two last weekend that ate nymphs but we weren't targeting them at all.

Don't get your hopes up as they fight about 25% of what a carp does. Poor work ethic when hooked, and just kind of wallow around

CATCHDAWG

Buffalo don't have the same diet as carp. So they're almost impossible to get catch them except for this time of year, for some reason as they spawn or pre spawn they'll eat stuff that gets in their schools. It's weird, we landed two last weekend that ate nymphs but we weren't targeting them at all.

Don't get your hopes up as they fight about 25% of what a carp does. Poor work ethic when hooked, and just kind of wallow around
For me, it's just a novelty thing to do, something different. Got a local guide buddy up the road in Tellico that catches a lot of them when they run. He said for whatever reason they really like a Duracell nymph, so I'm gonna tie up a few of those. I think the biggest challenge is getting into the three, four day window when you can be successful (on purpose). Checked the river again today and they still aren't here yet.

Setterman

For me, it's just a novelty thing to do, something different. Got a local guide buddy up the road in Tellico that catches a lot of them when they run. He said for whatever reason they really like a Duracell nymph, so I'm gonna tie up a few of those. I think the biggest challenge is getting into the three, four day window when you can be successful (on purpose). Checked the river again today and they still aren't here yet.
I get that, and it's a cool catch for sure since normally they won't play at all. Good luck and can't wait to see pics

Shanman

Friends kayaked over to Citico yesterday and they were running. We took the long tail up into there week ago and didn't see anything. Is this just a short event when they spawn? Friends said they saw trout feeding on the eggs, sounds like the Russian in September.

Latest posts