Another Question?

Wrangler95

I got some good recipes for breakfast venison sausage from several members but I have another question for you sausage makers.I always get all the fat and membrane from the meat when making summer sausage but would it be alright to leave the membrane on the meat making sausage?Seems like I saw this mentioned several years ago and best I remember some said the membrane would just wrap around the auger so it was easily removed and didnt get in the ground sausage.Anyone got any knowledge of this?I know when I made summer sausage I tried to get all this off but I threw away alot of good meat doing this!

Omega

I take off as much as I can, while some gets wrapped around the auger, right behind the cutter, much of it gets past. I use a fillet knife and fillet the silverskin off, at least the majority of it, the amount I leave on gets further reduced by the auger, and what gets past is cut into small bits, which so far hasn't affected much of anything.

RockMcL

^^^^
I still try take off the heavy silvers as above. I have stopped grinding shank meat and that helps. (always smoke & slow cook down shanks now)

As long as you double grind you should have no problems with grinding up the little silvers left over. If you like/use coarse grind then you will have pieces too big getting stuck in teeth...

Latest posts