The statute reads:

• Landowners, their spouses and children who
hunt on farmland which is owned by said
landowners. The aforementioned must be
residents of Tennessee but need not reside on
the land. This license exemption does not apply
if the farmland is owned jointly or in common
by unrelated persons

The sentence that reads "...if the farmland is owned jointly or in common by unrelated persons" is vague to me. Are there two conditions to that statement?
1) farmland owned jointly
2) farmland owned in-common by unrelated persons

Or is it an attempt to combine any and all business relations between unrelated persons (ie: farmland owned by unrelated persons, be it jointly or in common...such as friends owning a lease property)

The reason I ask is to clarify a couple parcels of land in the TAFKAP family. The tracts were owned jointly between a grandmother and her brother-in-law. Both owners passed away, bequeathing their ownership rights to respective heirs. My wife (Mrs. TAFKAP) is essentially a 1/6th owner (with her 2 siblings, and 3 other cousins) of a couple small agricultural tracts. Here's how the TN Land Data page lists ownership:
Mrs. TAFKAP (under her maiden name) ETAL Mrs. TAFKAP's Great Uncle
ETAL Mrs. TAFKAP's COUSINS TRUSTEES ETAL

MY QUESTION
As a spouse to a 1/6th owner (all family by blood or marriage), do I or our children qualify for the "Landowner Exemption" as stated above? Based on my lack of clarity, I translate it to mean that we do qualify for landowner exemption because of a joint family ownership of farmland.

TAFKAP

Further clarification:
All (6) joint relatives reside in Tennessee, none on the land in question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts