Alligator Hunt

300WSM

I got drawn for Georgia's alligator season this year. Been applying for 5 years and just now got a tag. A buddy got drawn last year and got a 8 foot gator that the gw estimated at 40 years old. He had a chance at a 13 footer but couldn't connect. Anyway, I'm pumped and just wanted to tell somebody. Will let you know how I do.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
When I lived in La. I went several times. Not sure how they do it in Ga. In La. we used shark hooks and a chicken. Sure was a rush to go in see the limb down and not know what was on the end of the rope. Good Luck and Be SAFE !!

Polecat

GAgatorpermit.jpg

Congrats! What zone did you get drawn for? I myself got drawn this year for zone 8, this was my 3rd or 4th year applying. Got any pics of your buddies 8 footer?

300WSM

Polecat, I got drawn for zone 7. Don't have any pics on the computer, only hard copies. The gator weighed about 200 pounds and he got it with a fishing arrow. Said it was the most fun he has ever had. He said people were also catching them on snatch hooks because if they weren't big enough they could release them and go for another. Good luck to you and let me know how you do. You planning on being out there on the 6th?

Polecat

No, I can't make it on the 6th. We're expecting our first child around the 7th so I need to stay kind of close to home. I booked a trip with an outfitter, Deibler Outdoors, for the following week. They supposedly have a 100% success rate for that zone on gators under 10 feet. I'm thinking about the snatch hook method but I'm planning on using my bow, a 70lb Mathews and a Muzzy Gator Getter kit to secure it and a hardcast 210gr bullet out of my .44 spcl to finish the job.

300WSM

Yeah, I also got some gator getters and I just bought some snatch hooks. I want to make sure I am totally prepared. My buddy had shots at gators the first night but not being use to that kind of shooting it took him one more night to connect. He said they were everywhere you looked. Well good luck to you on the hunt and the baby. I have a 2 year old little girl and its the best thing that has ever happened to me.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Polecat said:
No, I can't make it on the 6th. We're expecting our first child around the 7th so I need to stay kind of close to home. I booked a trip with an outfitter, Deibler Outdoors, for the following week. They supposedly have a 100% success rate for that zone on gators under 10 feet. I'm thinking about the snatch hook method but I'm planning on using my bow, a 70lb Mathews and a Muzzy Gator Getter kit to secure it and a hardcast 210gr bullet out of my .44 spcl to finish the job.
In La. we used shark hook and a 22 wanted to go thru to the brain but did not want a exit wound to damage the hide.

Polecat

Thanks. The AMS retriever is on the bow, along with the roller arrow rest, and the Gator getter arrows have been rigged with line and floats. A little final tuning on the nocking point height and rest alignment and some more practice and I'll be good to go. Loaded up some .44 spcl rounds the other night and I'll call the outfitter this week for final confirmation. This is gonna' be a fun trip.

LA man

i have killed MANY gators back in la. i got friends that hunt them every year. the money they make from selling the hides pays for the hunting lease we had

300WSM

I will be leaving on Sept 5th for this hunt. Got the boat all ready tonight. Have my bow set up and have my fishin pole with snatch hook ready to go. Hopefully this time next week I will have some pics for you guys!

Latest posts