Food Plots Alfalfa/Red Clover?

bjohnson

I've got a 1.5 acre food plot in clover and chicory that is on its 4th year and beginning to thin. I would like to plant in alfalfa and red clover next fall. I keep reading alfalfa is a pain to grow but I've had success with everything else I've planted so why not give it a shot. My plan is to lime(pelletized) heavy in February and plant buckwheat and sunn hemp this spring and disk under mid September. I have heard to use oats or wheat as a cover crop so I may plant some with it.. Site is a ridge top that is well drained. Does this sound like a solid plan?

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
It does. A better start would be to get soil samples sent off by spring listing alfalfa as the desired crop and take a good look at the results. As with clovers, alfalfa can benefit from cereal rye and wheat being planted with them. 1st is protection from hard browse on young plants, 2nd is helping outcompete weeds till the alfalfa is better established, third is moderating soil temps during the hot days. consider no till if its an option for all the good reasons to no till, plant as shallow as you can and still get soil to seed contact. Sometimes takes 2 plantings to establish alfalfa but read online university studies about planting rates as over planting can be just as bad as under planting. Be ready to spray 2 X a year for weavels and mow 2 to 3 times to keep it growing and thickening. Roundup ready alfalfa is expensive and worth every penny. Alfalfa is very tolerant of having cereal rye, turnips and radishes drilled into it in august and you will be glad you did as it will extend the life of the stand and help keep it strong into its 6th year.

bjohnson

It does. A better start would be to get soil samples sent off by spring listing alfalfa as the desired crop and take a good look at the results. As with clovers, alfalfa can benefit from cereal rye and wheat being planted with them. 1st is protection from hard browse on young plants, 2nd is helping outcompete weeds till the alfalfa is better established, third is moderating soil temps during the hot days. consider no till if its an option for all the good reasons to no till, plant as shallow as you can and still get soil to seed contact. Sometimes takes 2 plantings to establish alfalfa but read online university studies about planting rates as over planting can be just as bad as under planting. Be ready to spray 2 X a year for weavels and mow 2 to 3 times to keep it growing and thickening. Roundup ready alfalfa is expensive and worth every penny. Alfalfa is very tolerant of having cereal rye, turnips and radishes drilled into it in august and you will be glad you did as it will extend the life of the stand and help keep it strong into its 6th year.
Thanks! I'll get a soil sample off asap. Planning to lime in late Feb/early March. As of now we don't have a no-till drill but I may rent one for this project.

Latest posts