Albino Catfish on the Deck!

rsimms

I have been a fisherman for 60 years, a hardcore catfisherman for 30 years and a catfish guide for 17 years. Yesterday was a milestone day for me I will never forget. The first ever leucistic (albino) catfish to grace the bottom of my boat.

"You may catfish for the rest of your life and NEVER catch, or even see, another fish like that!"

Those were my words to 15-year-old Edwards Tarumianz when this incredible fish came over the side of the boat. Of course we recognized what it was LONG before it came to net and those were some VERY tense minutes. Although it was solid white, the fish is most likely what's known as "leucistic," not an albino, because it lacks the pink eye. No matter, it could very well be the only one Edwards ever holds.

Of course that was just the crowning touch of a very fun morning. Edwards caught his personal-best smallmouth, along with several largemouth and even a couple of gar, including one monster. It was an amazing battle on 6-pound test line, especially when it got wrapped around the trolling motor. 😲 But Edwards kept his cool and fought the prehistoric beast perfectly. Of course I also love the photo captured of Edwards face when the big gar escaped his grasp. 😅 Edwards is one of the most polite young men I've ever had in the boat. And one of the most accomplished 15-year-old anglers I've ever been around.

It was a very special morning, capped off by a catfish unlike any I've ever seen before - and may never see again!

Edwards_Fish12.jpgEdwards_Fish16.jpgEdwards_Fish05.jpgEdwards_Fish04.jpgEdwards_Fish06.jpgEdwards_Fish07.jpgEdwards_Fish08.jpgEdwards_Fish09.jpgEdwards_Fish09_closeup.jpg

sll

Edwards must be a talented young stick! I know the guide put him were they lived but he had to do the rest......good job young man.:cool:

Dodge Man

My grandfather use to run trot lines in the river around here. I know he caught 3-4 albino catfish like that over the time I could remember. He put one in our pond and it was caught and released a few times.

Latest posts