Alaskan Coastal brown bear hunt

GreeneGriz

I've began seriously looking into booking one of these hunts for 2025 or 2026. Has anyone ever booked a hunt thru an agent that handles all of the logistics and possibly even financed a hunt thru one of these outfits like they advertise they do.
Trip insurance? Chartered planes. Trophy care after the hunt (if successful). I've researched and looked things up , but firsthand knowledge from someone who has "been there, done that" is what I'm looking for.

AT Hiker

My group is in the process of planning a DIY Alaska hunt. We have already booked the charter boat, airline tickets and hotel rooms for layovers, etc. It is sorta a pain in the butt, mainly because I am a logical planner and I firmly believe things should be simple...well, they are not.

For example; Alaska airline out of Kodiak has changed their baggage policy which has thrown a kink in our plan. It is not the end of the world but it is also not how it was when we started planning this 6+ months ago.

If I had the funds, Id book through a company (like Huntin' Fool) just to pass the logistics head ache on to them. Especially with a brown bear because you need a guide anyways and someone with experience on shipping trophy's and meat.

As for taxidermy; are you gonna rug it or full body mount? Id make that decision long before you book the trip.

GreeneGriz

My group is in the process of planning a DIY Alaska hunt. We have already booked the charter boat, airline tickets and hotel rooms for layovers, etc. It is sorta a pain in the butt, mainly because I am a logical planner and I firmly believe things should be simple...well, they are not.

For example; Alaska airline out of Kodiak has changed their baggage policy which has thrown a kink in our plan. It is not the end of the world but it is also not how it was when we started planning this 6+ months ago.

If I had the funds, Id book through a company (like Huntin' Fool) just to pass the logistics head ache on to them. Especially with a brown bear because you need a guide anyways and someone with experience on shipping trophy's and meat.

As for taxidermy; are you gonna rug it or full body mount? Id make that decision long before you book the trip.
I'm a taxidermist. It will be a full body mount. The booking agent I've been talking to covers everything. Even handling the hide, prep for shipping, etc. they even have a local store that has everything you need so you won't have to bring things that take up space during travel wirh you.

Snowwolfe

Check into getting an Alaska Airlines credit card. The perks might make it worth your while. I would be leery of any company offering travel insurance. IMO about 50% of the time charter flights are delayed due to weather. Read the fine print before you buy insurance

backyardtndeer

Good luck. I have an uncle in Pennsylvania who did a brown bear hunt a few years ago. He wasn't able to close the deal on a bear, but he said it was a great time, he went through black river hunting camps..

tellico4x4

Thank you. Feel free to forward any contact info or pointers.

Butch has retired & his son has taken over the business. Haven't used them in a few years but have booked 6-7 hunts thru them in the past, always a good experience. Good luck on your endeavor!

Latest posts