Aging venison/Meat spoilage

Trapper John

I feel like there's a variable missing here. As you describe it, I don't see any major problems that would lead to meat spoiling that quickly. My big concern is the temperature of your fridge as previously mentioned. I've dabbled in dry and wet aging meat the right way (Temperature and humidity controlled environment) the "wrong" way (Regular refrigerator with no humidity control), and various in between methods (Wet aging in a vacuum sealed container) and while final results differ, as long as the temperature is low enough, I've yet to have meat flat out spoil in anything less than a full month.

There's good advice on this thread. Check your refrigerator temperature as well as what the temperature is in that cooler when loaded with ice. Make sure both are clean. Something is off if clean meat is spoiling that quickly.

TAFKAP

Sealed will not make it spoil in 5-7 days. I put mine in plastic bags and it's good up to 2 weeks. Refrigerator needs to stay below 40, I prefer it in the low to mid 30s, just above freezing. Yes dry aging is better, but wet aging works fine.
I would think there's a difference between sealed plastic bag (presumably no air) and just a tupperware tub. I would expect anything to spoil like that in a tub.

bigtex

What's your definition of "spoiled?"? Bad smell, or just looks bad?
I dry age mine for 7-10 days @35 degrees for 7-10 days in a spare refrigerator. I don't hang it [even though I probably should] but I do turn it every day or so. The meat will turn dark colored almost black but it isn't "spoiled". I just trim the dark off as I process it.
If it is indeed spoiling I'm thinking your temps are on the high side.

catman529

I would think there's a difference between sealed plastic bag (presumably no air) and just a tupperware tub. I would expect anything to spoil like that in a tub.
I put mine in trash bags and ziploc freezer bags. There is some air but they're sealed shut. Fridge is in mid 30s and meat is clean. It stays fresh for a long time

Nsghunter

What's your definition of "spoiled?"? Bad smell, or just looks bad?
I dry age mine for 7-10 days @35 degrees for 7-10 days in a spare refrigerator. I don't hang it [even though I probably should] but I do turn it every day or so. The meat will turn dark colored almost black but it isn't "spoiled". I just trim the dark off as I process it.
If it is indeed spoiling I'm thinking your temps are on the high side.
Strong smell that is similar to hot rotting meat. Stronger than an aged steak and almost has a putrid hint. When you try to clean it and eat it it tastes sickly sweet and smells foul...

Nsghunter

Thanks so much guys. I have identified three issues: putting my meat in Tupperware style containers, fridge is set at 41 degrees and I may not keep enough ice in the cooler.

The last deer I harvested I am concerned I didn't handle it as absolutely sanitary as I normally would. It was cold outside but I did not ice it on the drive home and I typically would. I also didn't have a good water source to clean it out after field dressing it.
Of note, the two deer I harvested this season where on the ground for ~4 hours before being gutted. For me that's a long time.

catman529

Thanks so much guys. I have identified three issues: putting my meat in Tupperware style containers, fridge is set at 41 degrees and I may not keep enough ice in the cooler.

The last deer I harvested I am concerned I didn't handle it as absolutely sanitary as I normally would. It was cold outside but I did not ice it on the drive home and I typically would. I also didn't have a good water source to clean it out after field dressing it.
Of note, the two deer I harvested this season where on the ground for ~4 hours before being gutted. For me that's a long time.
The drive home won't spoil deer. 4 or 5 hours after the kill won't spoil the meat either, I've done that before and it's fine. If you gutted them cleanly with no guts spilled on the meat it should be fine. I never wash my deer out, I skin them and process them dry. Trim off clotted blood with a knife and use paper towels to clean up any spots that need cleaning. Don't get dirt, hair or guts on the meat. Put in whatever container you like in the fridge below 40 degrees. Your fridge being set at 41 is probably the main cause of your meat spoiling.

mike243

I have tried aging with skin on and off, I didn't notice anything different to be honest, my thoughts are to process as quick as possible, I am not convinced deer have the same enzyme break down as beef. not the same fat/lean ratio by any means, deer fat is stored in ropes instead of through the muscles like a well marbled beef. 36-42 is the safe zone in food safety. lot of meat into a fridge may take a day or 2 to reach a safe temp. lot of variables, also soaking meat in water isn't a safe practice imo

TAFKAP

With your mention of "washing the deer out", I think that's your most prominent source of spoilage. Unless you have contamination by stomach contents or guts, introducing water to your meat is the fastest source of bacterial growth.

The most critical aspects of meat butchery are keeping the meat DRY and cooling it as quickly as possible. There's no reason to hose out a deer. Gut it, hang it, and quarter it out. No water necessary.

FLTENNHUNTER1

I pack mine in coolers for 7 days. If packed in ice properly with as much air removed from the bags as possible (air is an insulator) the meat will stay at 32 degrees. What I mean by packed in ice properly is the bags completely surrounded in ice. As the ice melts you have to lift the bags up to keep ice under them, then add more ice on top. After a couple days the ice literally (and the meat) is encased in one solid block of ice cubes. I half to smash the ice to be able to get the bags out.

Latest posts