Aging venison/Meat spoilage

Nsghunter

While reading other posts about aging meat it seems that some people age the deer for 7-10 days (or longer). Maybe I am doing it wrong but my processed and cut venison tends to spoil in my fridge after 5-7 days in a sealed container and I don't believe it ever lasts for more than 7 days in a cooler with ice in it, if I don't process it and freeze it. Sometimes I feel it has spoiled after 5 days unprocessed, skinned and quartered in a cooler with ice.

Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong?

I always struggle to process my own deer because I want to age it but I also don't want it to spoil. I work 5 twelve hour days on my long stretch and its hard to work one up on these stretches. If I leave it unprocessed I'm always concerned that it will ruin before I can put it up.

Lost Lake

I usually go 4-5 days with the meat sitting on top of ice in a cooler. My last one I went 7 days and it looked and smelled fine.

Got one in the cooler now and I'll process it on Sunday at 7 days. No problems so far.

Are you keeping it wet? I wet aged 3 this year. Layer of ice in bottom of cooler, layer of meat, layer of ice, layer of meat, layer of ice. Left the drain open and propped one end of the cooler up to promote draining. Checked every 3 days and added ice as needed. 2 went 14 days and 1 went 21 days. All meat was good. Very tender and no wild taste per my bride. I don't mind the wild taste, but she cans it so she wins that battle. LOL Not saying anyone should use this method, but it worked great for me. Hope that helps. 👍🏼

Tom Collins

Are you keeping it wet? I wet aged 3 this year. Layer of ice in bottom of cooler, layer of meat, layer of ice, layer of meat, layer of ice. Left the drain open and propped one end of the cooler up to promote draining. Checked every 3 days and added ice as needed. 2 went 14 days and 1 went 21 days. All meat was good. Very tender and no wild taste per my bride. I don't mind the wild taste, but she cans it so she wins that battle. LOL Not saying anyone should use this method, but it worked great for me. Hope that helps. 👍🏼
My wife is the same, and she complimented the lack of "wild" taste.

Ski

I've never been convinced of aging venison. I know people who swear by it, but when they feed it to me I can't see at all where it tastes better or is more tender. IMHO it seems like a way to over complicate things. My family and I prefer getting the deer down, butchered, vacuum sealed, and in the freezer as quickly as possible. Aside from ag deer vs woods deer, the biggest thing I've noticed that affects taste is how clean you keep the meat and how well you trim the fat.

AJared

5-7 days in the cooler with ice and the drain open, then I grind it, package it, and freeze it. I have done 20 -30 deer that way over the years and had zero issues.

DeerCamp

While reading other posts about aging meat it seems that some people age the deer for 7-10 days (or longer). Maybe I am doing it wrong but my processed and cut venison tends to spoil in my fridge after 5-7 days in a sealed container and I don't believe it ever lasts for more than 7 days in a cooler with ice in it, if I don't process it and freeze it. Sometimes I feel it has spoiled after 5 days unprocessed, skinned and quartered in a cooler with ice.

I always struggle to process my own deer because I want to age it but I also don't want it to spoil. I work 5 twelve hour days on my long stretch and its hard to work one up on these stretches. If I leave it unprocessed I'm always concerned that it will ruin before I can put it up.
Maybe check the temp in the fridge? I know air flow is good too.

Its also possible that what yo uthink is spoilage may just be the smell of aging meat.

BSK

I've never been convinced of aging venison. I know people who swear by it, but when they feed it to me I can't see at all where it tastes better or is more tender. IMHO it seems like a way to over complicate things. My family and I prefer getting the deer down, butchered, vacuum sealed, and in the freezer as quickly as possible. Aside from ag deer vs woods deer, the biggest thing I've noticed that affects taste is how clean you keep the meat and how well you trim the fat.
You should try butchering one that's been hung in a professional walk-in cooler. The difference at one week and two weeks is clearly visible to the naked eye, as well as to the touch. Makes a HUGE difference. An old buck after two weeks in a walk-in cooler will have the consistency of a young doe.

Last edited:

Omega

It's important to maintain the temperature below 40deg, I keep mine at about 34-36 deg. I put a small grate at the bottom of the cooler to elevate the meat from the melted ice, and drain the water daily, don't leave them in standing water. Use cloth meat sacks (or pillow cases) to make sure they get enough air circulating around it. After a week, I begin to process, takes me a couple three days to finish.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled

Proper Conditions are critical for aging and tenderizing any red meat. Venison or, beef . Even Pork needs the right Conditions. You have to Dry age meat to properly tenderize for a couple of weeks. You are correct that in a cooler you can basically just put off or extend the time that it takes to process it and freeze it. You need a Walk in Cooler or a Extra Frig set up to do this. Here is the South and with unpredictable weather it's not possible to hang one in the barn or garage to age.
Lots information out there on aging Different kinds of meat. A well trained experienced Butcher taught me. Very few if any Deer Processors have the time or space to age deer. That's why they are called processors and not Butchers.

david k.

I hunt at Ames Plantation and since CWD hit the region this is my process. I bone out every deer I kill, put the meat in airtight plastic bags and then in a cooler and keep it completely surrounded in ice for 21-24 days which usually gives me time to receive testing results....deer that test positive are taken back to the hole at Ames to be buried and I process the meat from deer that come back as 'not detected'.

Being honest, I had never aged deer this long but my cousin, who is a doctor, always has. For years, he has always told me that aging them on ice for over 21 days will provide the most tender and best tasting deer, and he was right. Every piece is like tenderloin, no joke....

TAFKAP

The sealed container with no airflow is causing yours to spoil. Here's how I hang mine for 7-10 days with zero issue.

12400766_739552095075_2578431915026447310_n.jpg

catman529

The sealed container with no airflow is causing yours to spoil. Here's how I hang mine for 7-10 days with zero issue.

12400766_739552095075_2578431915026447310_n.jpg
Sealed will not make it spoil in 5-7 days. I put mine in plastic bags and it's good up to 2 weeks. Refrigerator needs to stay below 40, I prefer it in the low to mid 30s, just above freezing. Yes dry aging is better, but wet aging works fine.