Age this one

tree_ghost

Picked up a new place close to the house. Haven't had much to target for the velvet hunt. This guy showed up a couple days ago. I was hoping to get after one with my recurve for the velvet hunt but I want him to be 4.5yo minimum. Cant decide what to make of him…what do you guys think?

Attachments

• D12AB21E-56E1-4D45-A8C3-991A70945BEF.jpeg
    D12AB21E-56E1-4D45-A8C3-991A70945BEF.jpeg
    221.3 KB · Views: 156

megalomaniac

I think he is 4.5, no older.

Above average rack for age, prob mid 140s. Mass is weak. He has a pretty rack, prob worth mounting if he gives you the opportunity.

Me personally, I'm not shooting a velvet buck unless I'm putting him on the wall. No reason to fool with a tick and lice infested summer deer for the meat.

That being said, I've had more fun hunting easily patterned bucks in Aug than even during the rut. Ive never killed one yet, but I've had some nice ones in bow range. But I'm hunting spot and stalk from the ground.

tree_ghost

I think he is 4.5, no older.

Above average rack for age, prob mid 140s. Mass is weak. He has a pretty rack, prob worth mounting if he gives you the opportunity.

Me personally, I'm not shooting a velvet buck unless I'm putting him on the wall. No reason to fool with a tick and lice infested summer deer for the meat.

That being said, I've had more fun hunting easily patterned bucks in Aug than even during the rut. Ive never killed one yet, but I've had some nice ones in bow range. But I'm hunting spot and stalk from the ground.
Yeah I don't think he's any older than that but wasn't even going to entertain the idea if he was 3.5. He's not daylighting yet so I may just watch him but if he slips up it may be to his demise. The area I think he's bedding in is a cedar thicket with lots of chest high weeds in a creek bottom. I really didn't find a good place to hunt out of a tree and given the amount of stem count I may try my ghille on the edge of this little clover patch that's opened up. Man it will be hot in that suit though!

megalomaniac

Yeah I don't think he's any older than that but wasn't even going to entertain the idea if he was 3.5. He's not daylighting yet so I may just watch him but if he slips up it may be to his demise. The area I think he's bedding in is a cedar thicket with lots of chest high weeds in a creek bottom. I really didn't find a good place to hunt out of a tree and given the amount of stem count I may try my ghille on the edge of this little clover patch that's opened up. Man it will be hot in that suit though!
He's moving in daylight the first hour of the day and last hour of afternoon... somewhere. Thats one thing I've learned in the past 3 velvet hunts. Doesn't matter how old they are, they are NOT completely nocturnal in summer. Now he may not be moving in daylight on the property you have permission to hunt and is getting to your place after dark, then headed back before dawn. Get to the best vantage point on the property and start glassing early am and late pm. Once you spot him, figure out where he is coming out of, then go after him during the velvet hunt. He will do the same thing over and over unless he gets bumped off his routine. You only get once chance though. If he smells you, it's over for the hunt.

tree_ghost

He's moving in daylight the first hour of the day and last hour of afternoon... somewhere. Thats one thing I've learned in the past 3 velvet hunts. Doesn't matter how old they are, they are NOT completely nocturnal in summer. Now he may not be moving in daylight on the property you have permission to hunt and is getting to your place after dark, then headed back before dawn. Get to the best vantage point on the property and start glassing early am and late pm. Once you spot him, figure out where he is coming out of, then go after him during the velvet hunt. He will do the same thing over and over unless he gets bumped off his routine. You only get once chance though. If he smells you, it's over for the hunt.
Me and you think so alike with this approach. I'm closing in on him. Still got plenty of time to figure him out. Or perhaps another might come by in the interim…

tree_ghost

Yeah the sucker won't stay still and pose broadside, imagine that lol. Here's the only other picture of him that may be better…

Attachments

• B0B371D9-7D36-4049-B68F-330C7F714A83.png
    B0B371D9-7D36-4049-B68F-330C7F714A83.png
    223.1 KB · Views: 55