Age guess on this one

rem270

I think this deer could be 4.5 or older. I know they can look older when they're leaning forward like he is but the side shot makes me think he's at least 4.5 as well. First time seeing him this year and actually had him on 2 different cams last night about 500 yards apart. Can't say for sure but he's possibly the 7 pt I had on cam last year that I had guessed at 3.5.
e8c2e5c3-18ab-4c9a-822b-23332413ef89.jpg
9e973b2b-aeca-44ac-a005-aff6ecdef96e.jpg

2cff1c68-8f52-4207-80eb-14fbf88e2789.jpg

Ski

I'd guess way over 4.5 to the point of geriatric. My theory is that tooth wear at old age prevents them from eating as much hard mast & woody browse as they did when younger, plus the waning appetite that accompanies old age so they don't have a lot of excess weight to carry them into spring green up. Then since their bodies are beyond matured, they grow antlers earlier than most younger bucks and with lots of mass. That in itself is another nutritional expense. I don't get to see many bucks that old. They don't usually live long enough. I see it fairly often in does though, and used to see it quite a bit in cow elk when I lived in NM.

Here's an example of such a buck I had around a couple years ago. Super old buck. You could see his ribs and hips like the one in the OP.

1692201992725.jpeg

rem270

I'd guess way over 4.5 to the point of geriatric. My theory is that tooth wear at old age prevents them from eating as much hard mast & woody browse as they did when younger, plus the waning appetite that accompanies old age so they don't have a lot of excess weight to carry them into spring green up. Then since their bodies are beyond matured, they grow antlers earlier than most younger bucks and with lots of mass. That in itself is another nutritional expense. I don't get to see many bucks that old. They don't usually live long enough. I see it fairly often in does though, and used to see it quite a bit in cow elk when I lived in NM.

Here's an example of such a buck I had around a couple years ago. Super old buck. You could see his ribs and hips like the one in the OP.

View attachment 190859
If I am able to kill this deer I'll pull the jawbone and might would even send it off. This is 1 of the 5 counties in KY where they had the mandatory check stations for the past 2 years on certain dates because of the high potential cwd risk bull crap. I lost all trust and confidence in their aging when in 2021 my dad killed a 142" 8 pt that I had 3 years of pics of and guessed him at 4.5 and they fondled around on his teeth and said 2.5 lol.

Ski

I lost all trust and confidence in their aging when in 2021 my dad killed a 142" 8 pt that I had 3 years of pics of and guessed him at 4.5 and they fondled around on his teeth and said 2.5 lol.

In their defense I think the age estimates from tooth wear are minimum age. I'm not aware of a test that really narrows it down 100% accurate. Cementum testing is the best and it's not 100%.

Latest posts