Toad!! Age guess?

Knothead

1693934653754.jpeg

Dennis

Hard to tell from a single picture where the buck is in an unusual posture, but he's certainly mature.
When you say mature, do you mean 4.5 + ?

Reason I'm asking is I've seen some guys call bucks 3.5+ as mature, some guys call bucks 4.5+ as mature, and even a few who call 5.5+ mature. Just curious what you call mature.

BSK

When you say mature, do you mean 4.5 + ?

Reason I'm asking is I've seen some guys call bucks 3.5+ as mature, some guys call bucks 4.5+ as mature, and even a few who call 5.5+ mature. Just curious what you call mature.
Biologically, a buck is mature at 4 1/2. It is at that age that they begin displaying the very different behaviors of mature bucks.

Basically, three different age groupings exist, as determined by behavior: yearlings, middle-aged bucks (2 1/2 and 3 1/2s) and mature bucks (4 1/2+).

TheLBLman

I would just add "fully" mature = 5 1/2 & older :)

. . . . . . a buck is mature at 4 1/2 . . . . . age that they begin displaying the very different behaviors of mature bucks.

Those behaviors are so very different that fully mature bucks should be hunted as though they are entirely different species.

Last edited:

Dennis

Biologically, a buck is mature at 4 1/2. It is at that age that they begin displaying the very different behaviors of mature bucks.

Basically, three different age groupings exist, as determined by behavior: yearlings, middle-aged bucks (2 1/2 and 3 1/2s) and mature bucks (4 1/2+).
Thanks, that's what I thought you meant but I just wanted to confirm.