Age opinions on this 9 pt?

Bgoodman30

Let this one walk Friday. Called him in that morning and in the afternoon with the trusty green can ;) .. Thought he looked 3 on the hoof and would make a dandy next year. Although I was thinking he was he may be 4 before season? Thoughts?
049c4883-39f2-48a6-a6a9-34efd5e587e4.jpg

IMG_2358.JPG

Bgoodman30

Just found this video from 9/15. Would definitely say 3 yo. Crazy how much size they put on in short order.

Lone Hunter

My guess and this is just my guess. His head and cape would have already been to the taxidermist. That's a nice buck and where I hunt no way he could have walked. I'm glad y'all can sit and watch these super nice bucks walk but it would kill me to do so. I know they have to live to grow but dang y'all sure do show some nice deer. Keep up the great pictures.

Ski

My guess and this is just my guess. His head and cape would have already been to the taxidermist. That's a nice buck and where I hunt no way he could have walked. I'm glad y'all can sit and watch these super nice bucks walk but it would kill me to do so. I know they have to live to grow but dang y'all sure do show some nice deer. Keep up the great pictures.

It's not always an easy decision, and doesn't always work out. Lots of times letting one walk just gets him killed by another hunter. But for me I've already killed so many 110"-130" bucks in my life that another one just doesn't excite me anymore like it used to. If he's young I'll let him walk, and if another hunter gets excited and shoots him then I'm happy he made someone's day. And if he survives to be older and bigger then that makes me happy too. Either way letting him walk makes me happy.

Bgoodman30

Yeah a little regret.. But my sons up to bat this weekend it would be awesome if he can score him. Also if he blows up next year will be worth it..

Lone Hunter

It's not always an easy decision, and doesn't always work out. Lots of times letting one walk just gets him killed by another hunter. But for me I've already killed so many 110"-130" bucks in my life that another one just doesn't excite me anymore like it used to. If he's young I'll let him walk, and if another hunter gets excited and shoots him then I'm happy he made someone's day. And if he survives to be older and bigger then that makes me happy too. Either way letting him walk makes me happy.
I've been on leases where they had to be an 8 pt or better to shoot. But, as soon as it walks off of our property the "if it's brown shoot it down " crowd gets it. Let a spike or 4 pt walk and it goes off property it's dead. If they don't let them grow that's all you're going to get but some people can't resist and you can't tell them anything. To each and his own but if it's not bigger than what I have on the wall it's not going home with me. I've killed plenty of deer and really like to see young people kill them. I like seeing the smiles. You guys post some pictures of deer on here that sure are nice deer. I also don't hunt like I used to but still enjoy going but it's getting harder and harder to go.

megalomaniac

I'm not so sure they are the same deer. The one in velvet is clearly 3.5 and needs another year . Chest just isn't deep enough to be mature.

The one in video and hardhorn pic is 4.5+

No reason to kill him if he doesn't trip your trigger. I passed up two bucks this last trip that were 4.5 or older.

Bgoodman30

I'm not so sure they are the same deer. The one in velvet is clearly 3.5 and needs another year . Chest just isn't deep enough to be mature.

The one in video and hardhorn pic is 4.5+

No reason to kill him if he doesn't trip your trigger. I passed up two bucks this last trip that were 4.5 or older.

I'm about 90% sure they're the same deer but I hope I'm wrong!

backyardtndeer

1701618228245.png

In this pic I would definitely say 4.5, but the video you just posted, even with being rundown from the rut looks like a 3.5. Sure looks like the same deer with that right g4, but the body didn't look like the same deer at all. Dunno.

Latest posts