After 4 years.......

Football Hunter

What else can I do on my small,68 acre,little peice of heaven?

Here's what Ive done so far:
Had my place select cut last summer,for money,and to create some thickets.And that has worked really well,really grown up nice and thick.

Have 6 food plots that are producing well that are about 5 +- acres all together.Not really anymore room for anymore.

Have enough salt licks/trophy rock sites to give em all clogged arteries!

Have planted about 100 trees.Pear,apple,crab apple,plum,jap persimmon,saw tooth,Hybrid chest nuts.Think thats all the varieties.

Also,have 2 places that are crap trees,not worth money,and not preferred by deer,that I go in Jan/Feb,and just cut 30 to 40 down each winter.These have turned into about 3 to 4 acre THICKETS over the years.

Always looking for something else to work on,but what else do can you think of?

Think my next project will be to attack the @#$%&&^%$ Sweetgums,deer nor loggers want em.

ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER

cut them worthless trees down really works good,i try to do so much every year,that way it keeps a cycle going,alot of people will argue this,but fertilizeing the whiteoaks works well on my property

Football Hunter

richmanbarbeque said:
Come help me, I NEVER run out of work to do.
I bet,but your always working on your cabin! :) I have little projects left to do,"micro managing" but thats about it. Wish I could get enough spray to get rid of all my grass invasives,Jap Grass is on all the roads,woods everywhere!

Quailman,can I get a grant for that? :)

Football Hunter

ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER said:
cut them worthless trees down really works good,i try to do so much every year,that way it keeps a cycle going,alot of people will argue this,but fertilizeing the whiteoaks works well on my property
How do you do it?How can you tell its helping?When do you do it?

Football Hunter

Oh yeah,I connect to a 600 acre lease that Im on,pretty nice.I wish a tornadoe or some fire would hit that place.Long way from cutting I think,maybe select cut.Bunch of deer,but pretty open mostly.

Knock on wood,dont want a nader or fire on me,specially on my little cabin. :)

ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER

Football Hunter said:
soon as season is over,that way the new growth will start growing when the sun is hitting the ground,i also thin around the whiteoaks some,and for fertilizeing,i push a spade into the dirt a few places around the trees drip edge and put triple 15 in them,i will look for an old article on this by a wildlife officer,its a good read

Football Hunter

Football Hunter said:
soon as season is over,that way the new growth will start growing when the sun is hitting the ground,i also thin around the whiteoaks some,and for fertilizeing,i push a spade into the dirt a few places around the trees drip edge and put triple 15 in them,i will look for an old article on this by a wildlife officer,its a good read
Would like to see it,as I have seen various opinions on ferting oaks on this site.

Boone 58

You have done very well.....and me thinks that the riddance of the sweetgums should continue to be at the top of your lists.....did you plant plenty of sawtooths?

WGK

Football I talked to the agricultural agent about fertilizeing oak trees, he told me to get a bulb setter and bore 7 to 10 holes around the drip line and fill them with triple 10. And broadcast lime under the tree based on it size large tree 2 hundred pounds.

Football Hunter

Bucket said:
Do you have a good watering hole on your place? That's one thing I need to work on soon...in the dry months the water dries up pretty quick.
I dont,but water is nearby.I was thinking of making a pond,but realized no place on my place holds water,even obvious low spots that should.So I think building a pond would not work.I use to have a few 40 gallon water buckets,but emptied them,worried about spreading disease possibilites.

treefarmer

If you have some forest areas that are ridge tops or south facing plant an acre or two of loblolly pines for cover. TN dept of forestry sells them for a song with free delivery to your county.

I too was thinking I needed water on my property so as an experiment this past winter I had a logger use his skidder to dig a pickup bed size hole alongside a road where water runs off the road and it held water except for a couple weeks at the end of the drought. I see deer, turkey, and racoon tracks in it. I'm told by others deer don't need extra water so this is just an experiment to see what happens. NRCS told me ridge top soils hold water.

Jarred525

Definitely agree with treefarmer on the loblollies. I have used virginia as well, although they are a slow grower but they are supposed to stay branched out all the way to the ground.

RKenney

It sounds like you have done an excellent job on your land. There ought to be some fat and healthy deer around.

Latest posts