Advice - Walking in at daylight

jchisum23

So I need some advice. Tomorrow I plan on going to woods, but I can't drop off my kids at day care until 6am and that would put me in stand at 7am. Do you think that's too late and I risk busting deer?

Would I be better off going in at 2 for the afternoon hunt and skipping the morning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grandslam11

If you have time, I say go for the morning hunt. Temps are cool. I wouldn't worry about it being too late especially this time of year. You see all the time where big deer are killed late morning. I think most people have a tendency to leave too early (myself included)

Nhill

Go for it, it depends on where you are hunting, but I usually see most deer from 9-10 in the morning.
First daylight always seems to be the magical time, but I'm usually left disappointed, then surprised after 9:00

Mike Belt

Thus far this season I haven't seen a bunch of deer. Of those I have seen only 1 was at daybreak. The rest weren't until at least 1-1.5 hours after daylight.

timberghost35

As stated above, take your time and keep a good eye open. Try not to make much noise. I bust deer just about every time I walk in before daylight. Busted 3 different sets of deer Monday morning walking in and then killed a good 9 point at 645. If your in a good spot, The deer your gonna see arent even there yet. That's what I always tell myself... Im right on the edge of some very thick stuff that borders a oak flat beside a creek. I cant see the flat, but can see most of the bedding stuff.

hitek7

Last Sunday morning we were running an hour late (stupid time change, phones, etc...). Bumped a few deer getting to the stand. Ended up seeing 16, 3 of which were bucks. Just take your time a slip in and sit...

jetwrnch

Sometimes I do that intentionally. Shot a lot of deer that way. Usually during or after rain or in high winds. The problem now is the dry leaves. Not much need to try sneaking to the stand. Probably the only advantage to walking in before daylight is that you don't see the deer you spook so you feel more stealthy.

jchisum23

Perfect thanks guys, I'll be headed in tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jard

I havnet seen a deer at daylight yet this year. All my action starts between 7-8. walk in slow but diligently and get set down. ive had many deer show up within 10 minutes of me sitting down.