Advice to a New Muzzleloader Hunter

Bull_TN

That's the exact bullets I bought! I got the matching Hornaday sabots though. The salesman said the White Hots are less corrosive is the only reason I went with them. Maybe I am overthinking the corrosion issue.

GMB54

WhiteHots and Triple7 are virtually identical in corrosion. Whitehots just cost more and deliver less speed. Both will create a crud ring near where the powder and sabot meet. You still need to swab between shots with both. Whitehots create a tiny bit less fouling but since you have to swab anyway it makes no difference.

You are better off with the Harvester smooth short black sabot. Not sure which sabot you got but older black or green sabots from Hornady are tight in most bores. The new red sabots are way smaller. The Harvester sabot falls between them and is usually the best match for new CVAs.

Bull_TN

Good information. Thanks. I will get me some Harvesters. I'm thinking after the season, I will take my Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40 with a BDC off of an older .270 I have, and mount that on the muzzleloader. The scope is only about 4-5 years old. That seems to be the scope everyone online is using the most.

Bull_TN

Those are the ones I bought too. I was looking at some rifle style .452 bullets at BassPro last week. It's probably the same bullet with a plastic tip. I might play around with those in the off season.

Latest posts