Added eight pounds of weight to one of my trolling motor batteries...

BuckWild

I upgraded my trolling motor back in the fall and the Terrova is a 24v system. So I went and bought a new battery and hooked it up. Didn't use it much until about three weeks ago when I started fishing for white bass. Seems like every time we went out we were limiting out in 2 to 3 hours so the batteries didn't get much of a workout.

One morning it was slow and we fished about 6 hours and 4 hours in the batteries were toast. Hummm, well I had forgot to hook up the charger the night before. Next day after a full 18 hour charge, we went out and two hours in, noticed the voltage readout on the Garmin unit was reading 20 volts, hour later it was 16 volts, then in no time it was reading 14 volts.

Figured my original battery was going out. Yesterday I disconnect it from the other battery and the old one read 12.8 volts. So I checked the new one and it was reading 9 volts. I pull it out and decided to check the water level in the battery. Couldn't see any water. LoL. I keep gallons jugs of distilled water in my garage so I got one and started pouring.

Took the whole gallon and then some more. Checked the water level in the original battery and it was plumb full.
That battery is 5 years old.

So check the water level if you buy a new battery. This one was a Mathes Bass Buster deep cycle. The originals are Interstate.

Guess I'll get to try it out next week if the weather cooperates. :D

Pilchard

Without an electrolyte, I don't know how it was making any voltage.

I'm just glad it wasn't a bad bank on my onboard charger. That thing is a PITA to remove...I've already replaced it once.
Last time I had to replace an onboard charger, it was tucked in the back of a console and impossible to remove without hours of work. I disconnected it and left it in there and found a new spot for the new one.

Latest posts