A Yankee behind enemy lines

oldbuck60

Hey I saw the great post about Von Benedikt...had to read it and chime in. Just wanted all you Volunteers to know a bunch of us Yankee boys that are caught behind enemy lines are with you in spirit about everything hunting and 2A. 90% of our states counties voted against Empress Hochul but we have a disease called NYC that is like political cancer. If ya'll dont mind I'll drop by now and again for a little sanity. Careful not to let Nashville fall into enemy hands or you'll end up in our mess.

oldbuck60

Nashville is in the enemy hands. They are a cancer for sure!
I was afraid of that. You all have been invaded by folks from everywhere but Tenn. John Bell Hood tried to defend Nashville too...it seems like a disease that is spreading rapidly. I think the cure will kill the patient.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
I was afraid of that. You all have been invaded by folks from everywhere but Tenn. John Bell Hood tried to defend Nashville too...it seems like a disease that is spreading rapidly. I think the cure will kill the patient.
Blue is cold and dead, red is alive and vibrant, I think an amputation may be in order !

oldbuck60

Wanted to share a little Tennesee history that collides with Western NY history- helps folks undstand the difference between where I grew up and NYC which is as far away as Pittsburgh. Sgt. Alvin York one of the Volunteer States most treasured sons had a best friend in WW I. That boy from WNY grew up in a town that shares a name with the home of stock car racing---Bristol! Corporal Murray Savage was Alvins pal. I live and hunt deer in those hills- which until recently were free of rich city folks and a great place to chase deer and turkey. I grew up coon hunting with a close uncle who also played harmonica in a band called Bristol Mountain Bluegrass. He also took me coonin and taught me to hunt still-hunt deer. I had it real good growing up in the sixties, seventies and eighties- spoiled, carefree and pretty much either hunting or trying to distract myself until something opened- bunny, pheasant, fox, deer, or turkey. The photo is me on November 18. just to get this post back to hunting!

Attachments

• IMG_0774 (1).jpg
    IMG_0774 (1).jpg
    465 KB · Views: 9

Lt.Dan

Wanted to share a little Tennesee history that collides with Western NY history- helps folks undstand the difference between where I grew up and NYC which is as far away as Pittsburgh. Sgt. Alvin York one of the Volunteer States most treasured sons had a best friend in WW I. That boy from WNY grew up in a town that shares a name with the home of stock car racing---Bristol! Corporal Murray Savage was Alvins pal. I live and hunt deer in those hills- which until recently were free of rich city folks and a great place to chase deer and turkey. I grew up coon hunting with a close uncle who also played harmonica in a band called Bristol Mountain Bluegrass. He also took me coonin and taught me to hunt still-hunt deer. I had it real good growing up in the sixties, seventies and eighties- spoiled, carefree and pretty much either hunting or trying to distract myself until something opened- bunny, pheasant, fox, deer, or turkey. The photo is me on November 18. just to get this post back to hunting!
Well that is a nice WNY buck. We have possibly walked some of the same ground. Welcome aboard.

oldbuck60

Thats a heckuva buck!
I have taken two bruisers in my day. He's the big one. 168 6/8 green gross 13pt. I will never top it and I am just plain lucky. I was setting in a 10ft stand that is on a friends sliver of a big woods. The stand was his late brother in laws. I was hunting for a fat doe for my pal and I to split. I get a buck tag and two doe tags every year. A harem showed up opening morning and came in behind me. I'm a southpaw but I practice shooting right and it came in handy when "The Lake Monster" showed up. I had to be patient but he finally made his move and I got the shoulder for a split second and put a 150gr bonded soft point in him at 35yds! I coulda hit him with a slingshot but my .308 was a little more certain! I had asked the Lord for a little help and he heard my prayer. The Almighty is with me every time I hit the woods.

Welcome from the Heart of Tn. The guy that gave me the disease called turkey huntin' lives in upstate NY. He has a nice cabin on a hillside. We were in the Navy together in Groton/New London, CT. He was originally from Galeton, PA. Some good folks up yonder.

Nice buck!! Congrats!!

oldbuck60

Welcome from the Heart of Tn. The guy that gave me the disease called turkey huntin' lives in upstate NY. He has a nice cabin on a hillside. We were in the Navy together in Groton/New London, CT. He was originally from Galeton, PA. Some good folks up yonder.

Nice buck!! Congrats!!
I live in Canandaigua...and I was Navy...MCC Afghanistan 2010-11 with NMCB 18. Other than my year in "The Stan" I was a reservist from 2001 onward. You must be a clever dude- Groton means you're a bubble head!

I live in Canandaigua...and I was Navy...MCC Afghanistan 2010-11 with NMCB 18. Other than my year in "The Stan" I was a reservist from 2001 onward. You must be a clever dude- Groton means you're a bubble head!
Well, almost. I went in as an ET. At BEE school in San Diego the career counselor talked me into going Sub ET. I went through ET school in Pensacola. While attending Sub School I overslept 2 days in a row. They kicked me out and sent me to the fleet as a non rate. They sent me to the USS Fulton, the sub tender there in Groton. Upon arrival they needed a barber. I was sent to Norfolk to barber school and given the SH rating. I cut hair and ran the ship's store for 3 years before getting out. So, while I did make it half way through sub school, my drinkin' popped my bubblehead. After hearing the tales of sub life I can tell you I wasn't sorry to have missed that journey. Just sayin'!!

Thank you for your service!!

Latest posts