A/R Front sight

Jon54

I'm totally ignorant about A/R style rifles. I can load and shoot one, but know better than to try to disassemble one. Long story short. My youngest moved to NY state a couple years ago. He owned an AR and several accessories. He knew he couldn't take it so I traded him a 12ga so he'd have something for defense.

I just had the rifle professionally clean by a retired military armorer. Now that I have it back cleaned, I'm now deciding what to do with it. He has a Fast Fire optic that hasn't been installed. If installed, wouldn't the front sight need to be removed?

DaveTN

Burris makes a mount that will co-witness with the tall front sight of an AR. If you need/want that.
Take what you already have out of the package, throw it on and see if you have a good sight picture.

Madbowh

not sure about an answer to your question but I am like you ignorant to ar's.

Well what I did was looked at ballistics which I already had good idea how it shoots and from an m16 in military I know I'm not using it past 200m I have no sights at all and a 3moa at mid level red dot with 11 brightness settings. I'm hitting up to 200@6" steel with it. if your shooting it past that you need something else. Mine is strictly self defense so really it should be easily less that 100yds.

I do have an ar-10 in the works for long range that will have a nice scope on it.

Jon54

Depends on what kind of front sight it has. Have a picture?
Here's the front sight. Rear sight appears to be part of the handle. Most pix of ARs I see have the handle and front sight removed?

Attachments

• IMG_0004.jpeg
    IMG_0004.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 42

infoman jr.

Just take the carry handle off and mount the optic on the rail (using a riser). The fast fire is really more of a handgun optic, but it will work. Did it come with something like this?
410348-square.png.webp

DaveB

Hmm. There are like 30 million you tube videos on the AR and there will be some that are exactly what you need.

To get what you want you will have to spend money and time learning and replacing pieces and parts.

We just finished up an AR build. Some lessons learned:

)))Get the right tools. No, wood clamp blocks and a monkey wrench are not substitutes.

)))You will need stupid little parts that have developed legs and crawl away never to be seen again. Roll pins in particular.

)))Get a fancy mag release kit. Never thought I'd be saying that but the darn thing is a huge plus.

)))The drop in triggers by Arise Armament are superb. Shop them hard, there are deals to be had. I think Arise is better than that T company.

)))Ditch the factory flash thing at barrels end. There are MUCH better available.

)))Keep your optics simple. Unless you go to Lilja barrels or one of the other contenders your accuracy is gonna be less than what you think.

)))Yes, Lilja is king. And they have the results to prove it.

)))RCBS dies, Shooters world powder (24.5 gr for 55 & 62) Go here for brass and FMJ's.

Best of luck. There is a ton of experience on here ready to help.

Latest posts