A good use for coyote

7mm08

WTM":7s66iuya said:
very nice. is that a shrimp imitation?

Yeah, no, yeah! Ha!
Pattern style is called a SLIDER. Kind of shimp/crab imitation. They cast a whole lot easier than a round crab fly and face it saltwater fish aren't picky.

I tie the eyes in back on the bend to get the hook to ride up better thru the shell and oyster mounds to avoid snags like a traditional Clauser minnow would.

fishboy1

Is there a way to tie it "upside down" so the hook rides up during the retrieve? That would help a bunch with snagging bottom.

7mm08

fishboy1":3idsodlw said:
Is there a way to tie it "upside down" so the hook rides up during the retrieve? That would help a bunch with snagging bottom.

You're observant..... tried but that hook is pretty sharp! Ha! The times I tried it , I tattooed myself pretty bad.
It's not a perfect design but I lose a whole lot less flies than my buddies do on those oysters. We fish from boat to the shore especially at low tide. ( hour or two either way). The reds hug the bank to stay away from flipper and to be the first one on the mud banks or grass to get the crabs, shrimp etc. I add a piece of 60# mono as a " oyster " guard. I don't think it bothers these fish. Shrimp and crab have lots of prickly appendages.

MickThompson

fishboy1":1m0amwwm said:

Lead eyes on the bottom back towards the bend and a bulky and/or buoyant wing back over the hook point help to flip it. That's more or less how the clouser minnow that 7-08 mentioned is tied.

Latest posts