A good read

WTM

I used to fill the freezer up in a couple weeks with crappie.

For many years now, if I want to eat fish, I want fresh. I go catch fish, clean them and eat them.

Of course according the SCN, if you have over 2 limits in your freezer, then you are breaking the law. Since the law states your "possession limit is twice the daily bag limit". According to him when he was with the TWRA, you could not keep any more crappie until you ate some, and then you still had to stay at 2 limits. He even told me if you gave them away, you needed to be sure that those were eaten before you kept more. Sure wish I had that conversation recorded.
twice the daily creel limit is still the law, but gamehogs still fill freezers. ive never heardnof a warrant issued for checking freezers though.

Headhunter

twice the daily creel limit is still the law, but gamehogs still fill freezers. ive never heardnof a warrant issued for checking freezers though.
To me, if you only keep one limit per day, you should be able to have as many as you want in your freezer. I haven't "filled the freezer" in years, because I like fresh fish and have gotten to where I don't like to cook and eat frozen fish.

Why have the law if it isn't enforced, well at least now they need a search warrant, but when it comes to deer it does not make sense either. I remember asking Steve when he was assistant chief of law enforcement about possession limit, and pertaining to deer, back then I posted how many deer I killed, deer number 1, 2, 3, 4 all the up to 18 or more and I told him there is no way I am eating deer fast enough to be under the possession limit. He said that is not what the law is intended for. I didn't know that "intentions" had anything to do with the law. Seems like a law the TWRA can pick and choose when to enforce it, which is not right. Most everyone knows that legal anglers, keep a limit a day of fish, especially crappie, and freeze them. Why have a law, that isn't a law and I am not sure it would hold up in court.

Of course the illegals don't care, they keep any and everything.

WTM

To me, if you only keep one limit per day, you should be able to have as many as you want in your freezer. I haven't "filled the freezer" in years, because I like fresh fish and have gotten to where I don't like to cook and eat frozen fish.

Why have the law if it isn't enforced, well at least now they need a search warrant, but when it comes to deer it does not make sense either. I remember asking Steve when he was assistant chief of law enforcement about possession limit, and pertaining to deer, back then I posted how many deer I killed, deer number 1, 2, 3, 4 all the up to 18 or more and I told him there is no way I am eating deer fast enough to be under the possession limit. He said that is not what the law is intended for. I didn't know that "intentions" had anything to do with the law. Seems like a law the TWRA can pick and choose when to enforce it, which is not right. Most everyone knows that legal anglers, keep a limit a day of fish, especially crappie, and freeze them. Why have a law, that isn't a law and I am not sure it would hold up in court.

Of course the illegals don't care, they keep any and everything.

daily creels and possession limits help protect a resource, especially in areas where TWRA no longer stocks fish. if everyone kept a daily limit or bag limit everyday it would crush the resource in short order.

Latest posts